Pre-NVidia configuration problems

sofasurfer

Mandrake 2006

[root@localhost daryl]# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.12-12mdk #1 Fri Sep 9 18:15:22 CEST 2005 i686 AMD Duron unknown GNU/Linux

[daryl@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/version

Linux version 2.6.12-12mdk (apatard@n1.mandriva.com) (gcc version 4.0.1 (4.0.1-5mdk for Mandriva Linux release 2006.0)) #1 Fri Sep 9 18:15:22 CEST 2005

I installed my kernel sourcecode from my cd (kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk.i586). 'Urpmi binutils' shows that binutils is already installed.

At this point I should be able to install IA32 Nvidia driver.

su

init 3

Next I cd to /Downloads where I have my Nvidia driver, and then...

chmod NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run

I am presented with an agreement which I accept and then I get this message...

There appears to be a driver already installed. This driver will be deleted.

I press OK

Next message...

No precompiled kernel. Would you like installer to download kernel interface from NVidia.

I click yes and thats as far as it goes. Freeze-up.

I notice that even though I installed the sourcecode as seen above, when I do a urpmi kernel-source, urpmi begins downloading from a mirror.

Where am I going wrong?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

No precompiled kernel. Would you like installer to download kernel interface from NVidia.

try a 'no' there and let it compile one.

That did it.

After that step I got a warning about 'driver installation has been altered since initioal installation'. And that almost confused me again. But it said my xf86config-4 file has been altered. So I checked it and sure enough, the xf86config file was altered to show that it was now NVidia ready. Note that I do not have a xf86config-4 file but only a xf86config file. Is this acceptable? If so, I am all set. My glxgears went from about 90 fps to 532 fps.

With the jump you have seen in your glxgears score I would say the driver was installed. Try this command to verify:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

Any errors associated with the loading of /etc/X11/xorg.conf can be found in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/messages. Have a look there.

Your glxgears score looks a little low. I get a value of 860 on an old gforce 2 card. What kind of card do you have?

Guest Alloh
Your glxgears score looks a little low. I get a value of 860 on an old gforce 2 card. What kind of card do you have?

Post your "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and "lspci"

And use of "glxinfo" instead of glxgears is far prefferable, since it gives detailed text information, instead of work/dont. Catch the line "Direct Rendering", if it is "Yes" then its your VGA card thats rendering the scenes, if no, then your CPU does the job via Mesa - really slooooweeerrrr...