DVD recording/authoring software under linux

null

I have a buddy with a HP Media Center PC (windows XP) and he records some of my VHS tapes and Laserdisc (the 12" things) onto his hard drive, then burns DVDs for me, including chapters, menus, and all that.

I have given him a few of my old tapes and laserdiscs (things that are not available on DVD and maybe never will be...). The resulting DVDs look very nice and professional.

Does linux have anything similar to this? I guess I need to video capture the source first, then burn it to DVD. I have a couple more laser discs I need to transfer to DVD, maybe a couple of VHS tapes. Also I have alot of VHS-C camcorder tapes of my son growing up that I would like to put on DVDs - with chapters & menus.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated. Note - I don't have the inputs on my linux box required to hook up a video source. Guess I need some kind of go-between from my video machine to my computer. Either that, or get one of those video cards that have all the inputs needed...

I checked out the hauppage site and looked at the pvr-150. Looks good. They call it the WinTV PVR-150, and list windows under supported systems, and all the included s/w is windows. Be nice if they mentioned linux.

I see it has inputs for: cable-TV, S-Video, Comp. video, line-in, and something else... looks like IR. My laserdisc player has an S-Video output. So I connect my laserdisc player to the s-video, and then the left & right audio RCA cables get connected to....my sound card...?? And what about connecting a VCR? I think my VCR just has RCA outputs for audio & video.

Sorry, I'm new to this video capture stuff. If I learn this stuff on linux, I may be able to forego using my winbox at home anymore. I hardly ever use it anymore anyway...

Just use the cable TV input. (it's what I use). If the Laserdisc player can't be connected that way (I've never had a ld player so am not very knowledgeable) use a converter. I wouldn't try putting cables in the soundcard. Better have the complete signal (audio and video) in one cable directly in the tv-card. For example if I want to record from a VCR I would run the coax cable I would normally plug into the TV into the TV card.