how to install (reinstall) usb

RVDowning

scarecrow: Ok, deleted that usb related line from fstab.

The files in /etc/udev/rules.d are as follows: 50-mdk.rules, 60-dynamic.rules, 60-hal.rules, 70-hotplug_map.rules, 70-hp1000fw.rules, 70-libgphoto2.rules, 70-libusbscanner.rules, alsa.rules, hotplug.rules, provision.tbl.

pmpatrick: modprobe.conf has the following line:

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true

Seems that usb may not have been started. I can do the following:

[root@localhost rvd]# /etc/init.d/usb restart

Initializing USB controller (ohci-hcd): [ OK ]

Initializing USB controller (ehci-hcd): [ OK ]

[root@localhost rvd]#

Afterwards I can do:

[root@localhost rvd]# lsusb

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 054c:0010 Sony Corp. DSC-S30/S70/S75/F505V/F505/FD92 Cybershot/Mavica Digital Camera

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

[root@localhost rvd]#

So, now the system recoginizes that I have USB, and that I have a cam. Seems I have to do this after each boot. Is there somewhere to put that restart command so I con't have to execute it manually after each reboot?

Now that the system knows that I have a digital cam, how do I go about mounting it? Nothing is in the /mnt directory except cdrom, cdrom2 and floppy. Also, why is it that when I click on the mnt directory it takes 30 seconds to get a response.

Nothing new appears after double clicking the devices icon. Getting closer, but still don't know how to access the cam.

The easiest thing to do is put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. That's the last init script to run and it runs with root privileges. Just add your commands to the end of the script. You must have some timing issue re loading the usb modules; sticking the reload command in rc.local should work as everything else is loaded by the time it executes.

It seems I need three different instructions:

/etc/init.d/usb restart

/sbin/modprobe usb-storage

and

mount -t vfat /dev/????????? /mnt/camera

I can put the first two in the file you suggest. Does the order of the two instructions matter?

I understand that I have to execute the last command manually. I'll start a new thread asking how I go about finding out what the device is that is to be mounted at /mnt/camera.

Too bad these things can't just automount, but I guess that is asking too much. I guess I'll give up on trying to get webcams to work. If it takes this much trouble just to access a digital cam, I would never be able to figure out why a webcam wasn't working.

Thanks for your help!