where's "xev"?

bigjohn

this months linux format has a letter about configuring addition mouse buttons.

the reply suggested using the xev command.

if I try just issuing xev it tells me "command not found", as both root and user.

I've looked at /usr/bin and theres a link to X11 to /usr/X11R6/bin but again if I cd to that I'm still not getting anything.

So where would I find xev so that I can run it to see if the system is seeing anything from the "thumb button" on my mouse - then at least I could continue to follow the instructions in the mag to see what I get.

regards

John

p.s. Oh and no I'm not getting a man page for xev - I wondered if it was part of some sort of "tool kit" or similar ?

You need to install X11R6-contrib package. :)

Which seems to bring me back to this other thread of mine because I didn't understand what you were refering to when you said that I can install Xorg from within Xorg.

Did you mean that I should install it from the MCC/Rpmdrake + ? If so, do I then just uninstall the earlier version with Rpmdrake- and then do the ctrl+alt+backspace ?

As I'm presuming that I'd have to do that, then upgrade my kde to 3.5.1 and then install the X11R6-contrib package as there appears to be different versions of the contrib package according to the version of Xorg thats installed.

Am I thinking on the right lines, or am I thinking a load of s**t ?

regards

John

The X11R6-contrib package contains programs like xev (and a few others). It is not needed to run X, only if you need a program like xev you want to install it.

Yes,. Install xorg from the MCC (no need to uninstall the old version) and then restart it with ctr-alt-backspace. After that install kde 3.5.1