Skype feedback, echo and other bad things

sofasurfer

I was using Skype adequetly with sound breaking up from the other caller. But I checked the 'advanced' checkbox and tried some of the advanced settings. I then put everything back to the way it was but now everything screwed up. When I blow into the mic it comes over my speakers. When I speak it comes throughmy speakers with a 1 second delay. The person at the other end also says that when he blows into the mic it comes over his speakers. I deleted skype and reloaded it.

Is there a way to reset kmix back to default settings? What else can I do? What happened?

From the command line, type alsamixer and hit enter. If it brings up a control interface, then use the right arrow key to scroll across the window until you find the volume bar that says "mic" in the blue box beneath it. If there is a green square directly above where it says "mic", hit your m key and the green square should go away. Then hit your Esc key to exit and save the settings.

Doing what I just described mutes your mic's output volume. When the mic's output volume is unmuted and turned up, then everything picked up by the mic will be played back over the speakers.

I have my mic working again. I have no echo when I talk. If I blow into the mic I can hear it on the speakers but ordinary speech is not noticed. Is this normal for sounds to go from the mic directly to the speakers such as when I blow in it. I remember seeing people on stage blow into their mic to test it. So it must mean something.

I found the 'echo123' listing in the phone book for testing your sound. I am receiving sound but it is badly (very very badly) broken up. Worse than it started out as before I screwed everything up. I messed with the alsamixer. I don't know if this is why I got my mic working. I really can't make any since out of alsamixer. Theres nowhere that explains what all those settings mean.

I tried kmix again. Interesting note...in kmix the capture slider WON'T SLIDE. I can mute it with the button but the slider stays in the full up position.

Another point...When I was talking to my brother, after a while his wife got on. Her voice was not nearly as broken up as his. She talks a little louder then he does. So he talked louder and his voice improved a bit with less breakup. This tells me that the breakup problem isn't really because is bandwidth, doesn't it?