Shorewall slows down my Mandriva [solved]

Guest michaelsw

Guest michaelsw

Hi there!

I'm experiencing an odd problem with Shorewall. I'm pretty new to Linux and I'm afraid I'll broke something when messing around the computer.

Problem is that some apps (namely OpenOffice, Windows' apps through Wine, ppracer, etc) take forever to start just after booting UNTIL I go to MCC, select the firewall setup applet and set it up again (I mean, don't disabling it go again through the three steps of the wizard). When I click 'OK', all is working fine again and all the apps are starting at normal speed.

I've been googling for that but haven't had any success.

Any clues?

TIA!

Guest michaelsw

Thank you both. Shorewall was set to start at boot, but it failed to do so because I had installed kmyfirewall and it somewhat made shorewall stop.

I could have uninstalled kmyfirewall, but I compiled it instead of installing an rpm and I don't know how to uninstall it. I have a couple of images of the Mandriva partition and I restored a clean one without kmyfirewall.

However, that installation of kmyfirewall was nicer than this one and I don't mind restoring it again and fixing the kmyfirewall issue, so if anyone can help, I'll check this board regularly :D

Thank you again and regards!

Edited by michaelsw

kmyfirewall was probably interferring with shorewall, since they are both based on ipchains/tables (i imagine).

to uninstall a program you installed via source (./configure, make, make install) just do the same ./configure command (with any options, i.e. ./configure --prefix=/usr) and then do make uninstall

Guest michaelsw
kmyfirewall was probably interferring with shorewall, since they are both based on ipchains/tables (i imagine).

Yes. They do. I selected interactive mode during boot and choosed not to load kmyfirewall and all was going around fine, so it was clear that what was guilty was kmyfirewall.

to uninstall a program you installed via source (./configure, make, make install) just do the same ./configure command (with any options, i.e. ./configure --prefix=/usr) and then do make uninstall

Thanks :D I'll keep that in mind. Also I'll try to repair the 'hurted' Mandriva image with that.

Best regards to all of you so helpful people :thumbs: