Score: Linux-3 Me-0

CanuckKev

Well, now I am frustrated. After getting a great install and trying out a few things, I had to reinstall because I am loosing a hard drive.

So, Saturday, I backed up what I wanted from my XP drive and split the 40 GB. 15 GB for XP and the rest for MDK 9.0 Re-installed XP and got it all setup the way the family is used to it. No Problem.

Now, here is where the fun began. I realized that the MDK cd's were at the office. No Big deal. I know that I had put all 3 CD's on my office FTP server. Not as ISO's mind you, but the RAW cd's. So, Fire up a network Bootdisk, select an FTP install, and away we go....

5 HOURS LATER... (Yep, we have a HDSL connection at work, 768K in and out, and a Cable modem at home...)

All installed, the setup was easy (have installed MDK 9 about 4 times now, so I'm used to it.

Now, get all the updates for the packeages I installed (basically a desktop with games, multimedia, development, network client, and office.) 250 MB or so later, all the updates done. Great, everything works.

Now, after reading all the stuff about KDE 3.1, I used the Easy UPRMI page at http://plf.zarb.org/~nanadron/ to configure Texstars RPMs for the KDE 3.1 packages.

Then I selected the main KDE packages that matched what I currently had installed ( I check the remove packages listing in Mandrake Conf). All dependencies were no problem, the only packages left aout were a few develop packages.

It reported all packages were installed no problem, and I did notice a few changes in the KDE Menu, but I thought I better restart, but first I nuked my .kde directory.

I restarted and logged into KDE, and there was no desktop icons as I suspected. So I wanted to look at my home directory. Fired up Konqueror, and BOOM! got an (I think it was code 11) error.

Okay, So I checked that there was no packages that I forgot, BOOM! Can't start Mandrake Conf. Tried opening Konsole. BOOM! all of these are giving me the same error. I can't do anything. Hmmm... Check the boards from my laptop, nothing about this error. So, I switched to a console and logged in as root. Console hung. Switched back to X and restart. Still can't run anything.

So, Last night, at 11PM, I threw the network install disk in and reinstalled it yet again. THis morning, I did some updates, but I really want the KDE 3.1 install.

Should I go to the Beta??? Or does someone know what I did. SHould I have logged into KDE as root to do this install??