Toshiba Satellite 5005-S507, help with screen....

lawsonrc

I've just installed Mandrake 9.0 onto my Toshiba Satellite 5005-S507 (allotted 9 gigs for MDK out of the 40 gigs, used Partition Magic 8.0. Machine also has WinXPHome). This computer came out a little over a year ago.

The screen is 15-inch, UXGA: 1,600 x 1,200. The video card is a GeForce4 440 Go.

I wasn't able to successfully set up the video. After installation, the screen is all garbled.

If I need to download some kind of a Linux driver for the card, how do I do it when I can't get into X windows? (I'm a non-techie Newbie and don't know anything about text prompts or command lines, but willing to learn if steps are made simple).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard L.

Thanks Pzatch for your immediate reply. I installed late at night (and tired...big mistake), so when I got to the video options and they didn't work, I mistakenly clicked to go on to graphical login...wished now I had defaulted into text login. :oops:

Well, this morning I figured out that I could get a text login by pressing CTRL + ALT +F1 (I think that is what I did).

Anyway, I wasn't sure if I needed to be root or not. I typed in su and my password.

Unfortunately, due to my lack of experience, there were too many options for me to choose for everything and I didn't want to mess up my setup any further, so I canceled out before I got to the very end.

I went to the laptop website for linux and it seems that this laptop (Toshiba 5005-S504 and -S507) need to download a driver. Don't know how to do that in text mode.

Should I download the driver by getting on the internet on my desktop and putting it onto a floppy??? I've never done any of this in Linux, being a newbie, but could do it in Windows XP.

Thanks again!

Richard L.

You certainly can save the driver on a floppy, then install it from the floppy. If the driver is offered as a tarball archived source it's better first copy it on the harddrive.

If your notebook is connected to the network, you can always use lynx (the textmode web browser, you may need to install it) to browse the net in the textmode. You won't be able to view pictures, but sure you'll be able to download the driver directly to your notebook.

V.

I finally got the video worked out last week. I downloaded the two files and burned them to a CD-R in WinXP. Then with the help of a mandrake user in my area, I was able to get the video and GUI working. We also got the external floppy to work. We're now working on other things and will post in the proper places on the forum if I need any further help.

Thanks again...this is a great forum!

Sincerely,

Richard L.