what's inside cd2 and cd3 for 2006? [solved]

solarian

Hi!

I've finally decided to try Mandriva 2006 Free after the quite buggy rc2,

will uninstall KAT, but I have a few other questions.

1. I have a NTFS Windows partition and while I haven't logged into Windows for about 2 years I want to keep it just in case,

so what's with the problem of errors while logging out from Mandriva2006 if there's an ntfs partition, is it fixed?

2. What other services do you suggest to disable in order to prevent known errors? (I have an ATI card)

3. Most importantly - what's on cd2 and cd3? can I install a well functional (that means X) Mandriva from just cd1?

The thing is that I'm going to install KDE 3.5.1. from Thacs sources, so initially I'd only need some classic window manager (X environment), say Blackbox.

Thanks!

Edited by solarian

I've been using Mandriva 2006 Free and Powerpack for sometime now on practically all my machines. Here's what I do after install:

urpme kat

urpme lisa (don't need a network neighbourhood like Windows)

urpme nfs-utils-clients (don't use nfs, and stops the error when shutting down)

I also disable netfs service, as I'm not using any network file sharing systems, and portmap service as well, since I don't need this for nfs. Plus some others, cpufreq and rawdevices, since they don't normally work on any of my machines.

I then make sure I apply all updates to the system. Including updating the kernel, current version 2.6.12.15, default 2.6.12.12. Although no need, but I like my kernel to be the same as the kernel-source when it's updated.

I have a machine I will be installing 2006 onto that has an ATI card, and it'll be 2006 Free. I have nvidia on my other machines, and it works, but fps is no good, so I use nvidia's drivers. You might need to do the same with your ATI card as well perhaps. I'll let you know how I get on with the ATI based machine this weekend, as I'll be installing that one tomorrow most likely.

Never done a CD install, as I use the DVD image. Chances are it'll give you a basic install at least, going by experience of using previous versions of Mandrake on CD.

I have ntfs on three of my machines, and never had any problems shutting down or errors shown relating to ntfs.

Hope that helps a bit.

Tell you what, I'll do an experiment. I have to use CD ISO's for my ATI machine, since it doesn't have a DVD drive, and I couldn't get ftp install to work properly, or with nfs either.

So I'll do a CD1 install for you, and let you know what I get. Then I'll redo the installation again for my final install for my purposes. I'll also get a listing of files of what's on CD2 and CD3 for you, so you can choose whether you need to download them or not.

no, no, Ian, thanks, but it's too much to ask from you

I'll do the 1cd install myself and even if it won't give me an X environment I'm not without hands and will be able to download and burn cd2 from an Xless environment if needed.

At the moment I'm checking Google for the list of files