Salome on Mandriva 2006 [solved]

Guest thenever

Guest thenever

Hi all, using mandriva 2006 on a new workstation after testing it with Pro/E and a few other apps against OpenSuSe 10. Anyway, I'm having trouble getting Salome to run. http://www.salome-platform.org

The problem is it needs libdps.so.1 which appears to be an older library in XF86 and has been disabled in Xorg. I've been looking around for either a XF86 compat package or similar. Several rpm searching sites have libxorg listed in 2006 cooker with libdps.so.1 in it. However, I'm not interested in having to use something from cooker. I'd like to recompile the libxorg available in main or updates but I cannot find the source rpm anywhere. Anyone know of the location? I've been through the FTP's and didn't see it.

Before anyone suggests rebuilding Salome without need for libdps.so.1 - I've done so already and it still begs for it. Hence a post for help on the Salome website as well.

Any ideas or links to a source RPM?

Thanks!

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest thenever

Ooooook so this is resolved now.

2 ways -

1) download XFree86 4.x sources and build to get the lib (could be done with Xorg i'm sure).

2) Considering that Salome is packaged on CAE Linux ( a live linux dvd with engineering software) I booted it inside a VM and copied out the lib. Needless to say, Salome fired up but some modules such as Mesh didn't work. This was due to a missing libg2c.so. This can be resolved by attaining and running gcc/g77 3.x from Contrib. Default stays gcc 4 but you get the compat libs needed for this particular application. Now, in the case of Salome it also needs "libssl.so.2 / libcrypto.so.2" which are not there by default. A manual link "ln -s whatever something" to the latest installed version works fine. However, there is another way, inside Contrib there is a game-compat package that provides "libssl.so.2 / libcrypto.so.2".

Hopefully this helps someone else, and if anyone from Mandriva is ever reading this...... please, more easy to obtain backwards compat lib packages. It's sometimes hard to shoehorn old distros onto new hardware, so we have to use new distros that don't have the needed libs to run older engineering apps.

Quite a pain.

P.S. another irrirating lib to obtain is libXm.so.2. I prefer openmotif to lesstif.

All and all though..... 2006 has been rock solid on my Opteron boxes doing CAD work and some Schematic drawing.