Linksys WMP54g with Mandriva 2006 problem

Chazzman_bm

Hi all,

I've just started using Linux (Mandriva 2006) after a friend recommended I give it a try. I found a couple of old PCs and installed Mandriva 2006 and a couple of Linksys Wireless G cards (WMP54G - Broadcom based).

I've got a wireless network in my house that is entirely Linksys based. My wireless router attached to my cable modem is a WRT54G router which has recently had its firmware updated. My Windows PCs use WMP54G PCI cards bought about a year ago so I thought I would buy the same for the Linux boxes.

Mandriva went on no problem, detected the wireless cards but that's where the progress stopped. I've tried installing all sorts of drivers using ndiswrapper etc but still get no connection. The wlan0 interface is up but the signal strength is non-existent. When I got the network monitoring application and choose connect wifi, the connection fails. I'm no wireless guru so I'm not sure what the settings need to be. I set the wireless connection to be auto. It defaulted to ad-hoc so I guess everything is ok. I never had to do any major work with the Windows boxes except for set my SSID (I've currently got no security on the network) so I'm not sure what to set on the Linux machines. I don't know what to do next. I don't want to give up because Linux looks quite cool and I want to know more about it but at this rate, I'm spending more time on my Windows box looking for Linux information than doing anything with Linux.

Anyway, this is what I've got:

ndiswrapper-1.2.3

Wireless card drivers installed on my Linux box:

lsbcmnds

wmp54gs.sys

wmp54gsa.sys

The closest I got to the thing working was with lsbcmnds (installed from the CD that came with the card). At one point, I managed to get a wireless connection configured but it kept failing when I attempted to start it. What am I doing wrong?

Has anybody got this card to work properly with Mandriva?

Any help help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Charles.

There's an excellent thread on this over at https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=14972&hl=wmp54g.

I used the instructions here to get my WMP54G working under Mandrake 10.0, 10.1 and 2005LE. I haven't yet upgraded to 2006.

Guest a_borg1

Charles,

I just solved my Netgear MA521 wireless card problem yesterday using the instructions fron the Linuxant.com site. The main key is too match the right driver/source package. I'm using my card on Mandriva 2006, works great. I tried almost every thing for 8 days straight. Good Luck

a_borg1 - Mike

"The computer will be Assimulated"

a_borg@yahoo.com

################################################################

Hi all,

I've just started using Linux (Mandriva 2006) after a friend recommended I give it a try.  I found a couple of old PCs and installed Mandriva 2006 and a couple of Linksys Wireless G cards (WMP54G - Broadcom based). 

I've got a wireless network in my house that is entirely Linksys based. My wireless router attached to my cable modem is a WRT54G router which has recently had its firmware updated.  My Windows PCs use WMP54G PCI cards bought about a year ago so I thought I would buy the same for the Linux boxes. 

Mandriva went on no problem, detected the wireless cards but that's where the progress stopped.  I've tried installing all sorts of drivers using ndiswrapper etc but still get no connection.  The wlan0 interface is up but the signal strength is non-existent.  When I got the network monitoring application and choose connect wifi, the connection fails.  I'm no wireless guru so I'm not sure what the settings need to be.  I set the wireless connection to be auto.  It defaulted to ad-hoc so I guess everything is ok.  I never had to do any major work with the Windows boxes except for set my SSID (I've currently got no security on the network) so I'm not sure what to set on the Linux machines.  I don't know what to do next.  I don't want to give up because Linux looks quite cool and I want to know more about it but at this rate, I'm spending more time on my Windows box looking for Linux information than doing anything with Linux. 

Anyway, this is what I've got:

ndiswrapper-1.2.3

Wireless card drivers installed on my Linux box:

lsbcmnds

wmp54gs.sys

wmp54gsa.sys

The closest I got to the thing working was with lsbcmnds (installed from the CD that came with the card).  At one point, I managed to get a wireless connection configured but it kept failing when I attempted to start it.  What am I doing wrong?

Has anybody got this card to work properly with Mandriva?

Any help help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Charles.

[Qchem Edit - corrected the quote to make the post more readable]