kde 3.5 install issues [solved]

bigjohn

I've been trying to install the thac and Ze packages for kde 3.5 - yes I've been meddling (not only with the kde 3.5, but I was playing with "smart" as well.

This thread explains what I was trying, it's sort of relevant, but, well, not.

So, after trying to install the kde 3.5 packages as described in the thread above, I ran into a few problems that I didn't have a clue about.

To get round that, I just opted for the newb answer and re-installed. Though because I'd still really like to use KDE 3.5, I did the install, then rather than getting all the updates etc, I deleted the URPMI repository listing for the dvd that I installed from (a boxed set powerpack dvd edition). Then I added the repository for the KDE 3.5 as shown elsewhere here at mandrivausers - I then started following the "instructions".

KDE Install Instructions

1.  add all needed urpmi repositorys with: urpmi.addmedia mde.rpms

http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/thac//2006.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz

2.  go to easyurpmi.zarb.org and add mandriva main and contrib + plf-free and

non-free repositorys

3.  go to runlevel 3 with init 3

4.  cp .kde in home dir to .kde.old or something

5.  urpmi --auto-select

6.  remove kdebase-kdm-config-file with: rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-kdm-config-file

7.  readd kdebase-kdm-config-file with: urpmi kdebase-kdm-config-file

8.  go to runlevel 5 with init 5 or reboot

This fix to remove kdebase-kdm-config-file is also the solution to the so called

kdm bug that shows itself by starting xdm instead kdm and stopping the

keyboard from work. In this case uninstall kdebase-kdm-config-file as in

point 5. and reinstall with command urpmi kdebase-kdm-config-file.

I did parts 1 and 2 the other way round i.e. I added the main, contrib and both plf sources, then added the "thac" mirror as above (does it matter???).

Now, I then get to part 4. I have to presume that I did it correctly by just changing directory to /home/john and then copying /home/.kde to /home/.kde.old (as per the instruction as it seemed that it would be the most suitable suggestion).

At part 5, I get an initial question about the nvidia driver/lib(s) as there are newer versions available via the plf (and then nvidia site), so I opt for the most recent version (8178 I think it is) - this causes me a little concern (unfounded as it turned out), but I then get a nice big list and some yes/no questions re the actual upgrading of packages, so it's a big "yes". The system then gets the packages.

When I get to part 6, I follow the instructions - but strictly speaking I'm still logged in as root, but "cd'd" into my /home directory - so I have to presume that thats correct.

When I try to do the part 7, I get a message that it can't install 3 packages - one of which seems to be the kdebase-kdm-config-file though the system actually calls it something like mandriva-kdebase-kde-config-file-2006.0-noarch.rpm ( I don't recall the other two packages - I think that one of them was menu related ).

It asks whether I want to continue, when I say yes, it all just hangs - the only way out is a forced restart or control Z to stop it.

From there, init 5 or reboot make no difference. I can't get any graphic interface whatsoever. I can start the system, which gives me a login interface but nothing will restart, not gnome, ICEwm or anything else. It just tells me that the login has failed.

If I look to see if I can find any errors - I don't really know where too look, the only hint being a small message about /tmp/X0-lock or something similar needing to be removed - I have no idea what thats all about or how to get round it.

Perhaps someone could suggest what I'd need to do to get these packages installed but without killing all the gui's. I'm not completely green at this linux thing, but only have very limited experience of command line stuff.

I've read somewhere that it might be a suggestion to download the matching packages from the anorien "thac" mirror, but then switch to a different gui and uninstall the old ones - would that work? Or is there some weird config file that would need to be modified to make the system fire up the kde 3.5 ???

I have read some of the other threads relating to this, unfortunately they're rather over my head!

As ever, any ideas/suggestions etc are much appreciated.

regards

John

Well I was looking at other threads etc to see what anyone else might have done (that I could follow easily).

I decided to use a suggestion posted by devries (though I'm aware that he does know a considerable amount about this distro - probably having more knowledge in his little finger than I'm likely to ever know :cheeky: ).

Anyway, I've done it before, so I did it again - stand where angels fear to tread. I logged out, and back in again, but to ICEWM this time. I just deleted all the KDE 3.4.2 packages and then carefully went through the list of all the possible KDE 3.5 packages from the mde mirror. I installed all the ones that I'd heard might cause problems, the ones I know what I'd definitely need and any others that ring bells as far as what I might want to do.

So for the moment, the only thing that doesn't want to install is the gnubg backgammon game, because when I try, it's giving me shit about missing libgtkextra something something.so - I did try the same cure that I managed last time, but it doesn't want to work this time - bugger!

Oh well, at least the KDE 3.5 seems to be working now!

regards

John