Installing 3 Button Mouse

jmr0311

Hi Guys,

I really need your help an after countless hours of searching my problem I haven't being able to find a solution to my problem.

I'm another one of those that still fighting the mouse configuration problem. Trying to set my mouse to work in Linux like the way it works under windows. So far I've being able to have all the buttons in my mouse working with the exception of the "Left Thumb button" capabilities of making my browser to go "BACK".

This are the things I've done so far,

I place a file name (.xintrc) in my home (~/.xinitrc) directory with this information:

imwheel -k -p -f -b "89" 
xbindkeys &

and another file called (.xbindkeysrc) with this information:

"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[left]"" 
m:0x10 + b:8 
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[right]"" 
m:0x10 + b:9

Also inside this directory (~/.kde/Autostart/ ) I placed the same two files I describe above. The other locations where I have some codes placed in my intent to solve this problem are in this directory (/etc/X11/);

XF86Config

Section "InputDevice" 
Identifier "Mouse1" 
Driver "mouse" 
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" 
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" 
Option "Buttons" "9" 
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7" 
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no" 
EndSection

and in this folder (/etc/X11/xinit.d) there is a file called "mouse_buttons" and I place this codes inside that file;

xmodmap -e 'pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5 8 9 10' 
imwheel -f -k -b "89" 
xbindkeys &

I did some trial and error in re-mapping the buttons in X and I came to the conclusion that I have to keep this part of the configuration at least like this, ("pointer=1 2 3 6 7 4 5) in order for my other buttons of my mouse to work correctly. I ran "xev" in my system with the intention of knowing which button code was trigger when I pressed the "Thumb button" and this is the code that is generate everytime ( button code = 8). So I know that number 8 correspond to this button in the eyes of X environment when you pressed it on your mouse.

I also install this program (xvkbd ) in an another attempt to solve my problem but with not much luck. The strange thing is that one day started working my "Thumb Button" like I wanted too but then next day quit and it hasn't work ever since. All is doing now is scrolling the page up one line everytime I press the button. This is very strange and it puzzles me incredibly and here is where I need your expertice in helping understand and fix my problem. Thank you in advance for all your help GUYS. I'm going to be eternally grateful.

Jose

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]