Partioning within Mandriva Installation

Guest tauhshi

Guest tauhshi

Today, I downloaded the .iso images for Mandriva 2006, and plan to install them. But, I have 2 questions

1. Can Mandriva create a new partion from the free space on my Windows Partion?

2. When installing the boot loader, select "first sector of the drive" to install to my hard drive instead of a floppy?

Also, is there any other things I need to know before I install Mandriva?

1. Here are your options, from the Mandriva Starter Guide at http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/MandrakeLinux...en/Starter.html

Because the process of partitioning a hard drive is usually irreversible and can lead to data loss, it can be intimidating and stressful for the inexperienced user. Fortunately, DrakX includes a wizard which simplifies this process.

Depending on the configuration of your hard drive, several options are available:

Use free space

This option performs an automatic partitioning of your blank drive(s). If you use this option there will be no further prompts.

Use existing partitions

The wizard detected one or more existing Linux partitions on your hard drive. If you want to use them, choose this option. Then choose the mount points associated with each of the partitions. The legacy mount points are selected by default, and for the most part it’s a good idea to keep them. Then choose the partitions to be formatted or preserved.

Use the free space on the Windows partition

If Windows® is installed on your hard drive, you might have to create free space for GNU/Linux. To do so, you can delete your Windows® partition and data (see the “Erase entire disk” solution below) or resize your FAT or NTFS partition. Resizing can be performed without the loss of any data, provided you previously defragmented the Windows® partition. Backing up your data is strongly recommended. Using this option is recommended if you want to use both Mandriva Linux and Windows® on the same computer.

Before choosing this option, please understand that after this procedure, the size of your Windows® partition will be smaller than when you started, which means you will have less free space to store your data or to install new software.

Erase entire disk

Choose this option to delete all data and partitions present on your hard drive. You won’t be able to undo this operation after you confirm.

2. Yes

Other Things to Know:

See these:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/installmdv2006.html

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_mandriva_2006

Edited by jboy