DVD playback software

null

I can't figure out how to see closed-captions when playing a DVD on my mandriva 2006 machine. I've tried totem, xine, mplayer. Can't find any caption option on any of them.

I think closed-captions have been around for something like 25 years or so. Also, I've used captions occasionally on my windows box with either PowerDVD or WinDVD for several years.

I can't find any info about this when googling, so apparantly nobody cares too much...

No big deal, just wondering, thanks.

btw - how do you get ogle into your gnome menu. I did an urpmi ogle, and it runs fine from command line, but the other dvd players are in my gnome menu. I also tried an urpmi okle, but got "no package found".

Edited by null

Nope, closed-captions and subtitles are different, although similar.

Closed-captioning is mostly for deaf or hard of hearing people. American TVs have been required to have built-in CC decoders since the early-90s. Also, almost all movies on VHS and DVD are closed-captioned. Meaning, you can play the video, and press the CC button on your TV remote and see captions on the bottom of your screen.

Sometimes my wife & I have the TV on, but with no sound, and we have the captions on so we can see if something is being talked about that we may want to listen to.

PowerDVD and WinDVD both have options to watch closed-captions, as well as subtitle options. What I was asking about initially in this post was that I don't see any CC options on any linux DVD player that I have tried.

The windoze DVD pl.ayers have had the ability for several years, just thought maybe a linux player had the option also.

no big deal

I don't know about this CC option - there's a subtitle system for deaf people which works via 'teletext' which can also offer lots of other data.

On dvds this doesn't exist (at least not here), there are subs for the deaf, but they are just subs like any other - apart from the fact that they include extra descriptions of audible things, like 'sound of door being smashed shut' and such.

Isn't it just the subtitles for the hearing impaired that you want?

(I just read a bit about CC and it's normally in the sync line 21 which on dvd is not there - just the frame contents gets encoded, so the dvd player would have to add it - my guess would be that the data for it is just one of the subs...)

Mmm, more here:

http://www.dvdfile.com/site/faq/caption_guide/

"DVD Menu Chosen Subtitles and Closed Captions - With a DVD, and each is different, you can have alternate languages translated into subtitles as well as the native English track. Since the Closed Captions and any foreign language subtitles will both cost money to produce, studios have discovered that the label "Closed Captioning" can be used instead of "Subtitles." Thus, increasingly often, you will find that "English Captions For The Hearing Impaired" is being listed on DVD menus instead of English Subtitles. Albeit it has yet to be determined if they truly qualify for the nomenclature "Closed Captions.""

and here:

http://www.robson.org/capfaq/overview.html