URPMI commands - link?

bigjohn

I've screwed up. Damn!

I was just trying to unpack a new "bearoff database" for gnubg, but ark crashed. I couldn't make the system restart as the screen was screwed up and unreadable.

The meant a reboot (couldn't think of what else to do).

Anyhow, when the system did restart, it would only go into a level 3 login. It appears that I'd got over excited when installing stuff and updating and the like. The system was expecting the 7176 (I think thats the number anyway), but it found the dkms 8 something package from the plf.

So, for speed, i'm gonna take the newbie option and just re-install - it'd be quicker in the short term.

But what I'd like to know, is, is there a link to a list of URPMI commands that would have allowed me to check and remove an offending package, then check the mirror(s) of whats available to get the system working again, without the need to re-install.

I'm pretty sure it could be done that way (of course I'd have to remember not to remove the DVD sources from the list of URPMI repositories - which I've usually done as once the install is complete i've found it easier to use online sources/repositories). I believe I'm right in thinking that URPMI can be run entirely from CLI, I just need to know where I'd find the commands

regards

John

You can use the following commands:

urpmi packagename (for installing)
urpme packagename (for removing)
urpmf --name packagename (for searching)

are there any links about that, that you know of ianw1974?

I'd like to find out if urpmi is as "clever" as gentoo's portage, because with that I could do "emerge -s fir" and it would throw up a list of all packages that had "fir" in their names and I wondered if urpmi would do stuff like that.

Because using my example, I might not actually know the kernel name so I might not have been able to get the kernel sources and nvidia driver to install (well OK I would have been able to get the nvidia driver from the DVD in this instance, but otherwise would have had to envoke lynx etc.

So if there is a list I could note the link in my "black book" but also print of a copy of the "instructions" so to have them ready in the event of another disaster.

regards

John

Yes, the urpmf command will do it. For example, if I typed urpmf --name kernel, it will then list a load of packages. Here is an output from what I just typed on my screen:

[ian@mandrivalaptop ~]$ urpmf --name kernel-source
kernel-source-2.6:kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6:kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-stripped-2.6:kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk.i586.rpm

I did originally type "urpmf --name kernel" but it came back with so many entries, you couldn't see the actual command as I used above :P

Note that you can use the built in manpages, works fine on the command line:

man urpmi

(use u to scroll up, space or d to scroll down, q to quit).

There used to be a saying: rtfm - read the f* manpage / manual

I'm sure with a bit of perseverence you'll manage, init 3 is a fully usable mode.

Note that if you have a network, you can logon from another machine with ssh, and do all your management from there, including graphical interfaces, just start mcc.