Mandriva 2006 on 3ware 8006-2LP installation issue

Guest QnoQ

hi all,

setting up mandriva 2006 on a 3ware 8006-2lp SATA-raid system gives me quite some headache. installation does work fine until it tries to install the bootloader on MBR, where it fails complaining about "Bad Geometry".

has anyone experienced the same or knows about a fix for this?

just to mention: i am running a system with exactly the same raid-controller on mandrake 10.1, where installation worked with no errors.

thx,

QnoQ

Edited by QnoQ

thx, for previous installations of mandrake i had no problem installing grub, but in 2006 installation, bootloader selection seems to be nastily hidden somewhere .... any hint where i can select grub?

regards,

qnoq

qnoq,

Sorry for not responding to your post earlier. That's the beauty of GNU/Linux. If you're not happy with on distro, you can switch to other. Regarding how to choose bootloader for Mandriva '06, on the installation summary screen at the end of the installation, you are presented with different options to configure your box like X, services, network, bootloader, etc.

Hope you can give 2006 another try.

I am using Ubuntu on my desktop box with software raid and 2006 on a portable drive booted off usb.

J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

hi j.t.

Regarding how to choose bootloader for Mandriva '06, on the installation summary screen at the end of the installation, you are presented with different options to configure your box like X, services, network, bootloader, etc.

i gave it another try using the spare-server. the installation sequence looks like that:

administrator password

add a user

install bootloader

summary

install updates

exit install

and it fails when trying to install the bootloader. so i will never have the chance to reach the installation summary screen you mentioned (from which, if i remember well, you WILL have the chance to pick grub instead of lilo, or the other way round).

the exact failure code, if anyone is interested in:

Installation of bootloader failed. The following error occurred:

: Fatal: Device 0x0800: Got bad geometry 32/64/0

however, in a future server setup i may consider the latest release of mandriva again, hopefully to find this issue fixed (c:

greez,

qnoq

and it fails when trying to install the bootloader. so i will never have the chance to reach the installation summary screen you mentioned (from which, if i remember well, you WILL have the chance to pick grub instead of lilo, or the other way round).

yes, i gave it another try (pretty stubborn me, i know), this time having a closer look at what options pop up after installation of standard bootloader lilo fails. and there it is, little checkbox i never payed attention to, saying "Skip". i did so, proceeding to the summary screen where i simply picked grub and installed it in MBR without any problem (lilo is still not installable, might have to be addressed bymandriva).

no, don't ask me why i didn't see that option and tried it, no, do not! :angry:

anyway, greetings from a brand new RAID1 mandriva system :D

regards,

qnoq