Mandriva/Mandrake installation problem

Guest plo2000

Guest plo2000

Hi, I have a prroblem installing mandrake 10.1 or mandriva 2006, everytime I try to install the OS, it gives an error saying cant access the cd, thats weird becasue I already have mandrake 10.1 installed, I didnt change any hardware settings or anything.

I did try to install thru the dvd and the cdrw drive both will give the same error.

I have a P3 866 MHz, Samasung DVDROM (SD-616F), and LG CDRW (HL-DT-ST GCE 8160B).

Any help will be greatly appreciated :help:

Check your media for scratches.

Check the drive for function with other cds.

Since it is both drives, it is either the disk itself or a chipset issue. But start with the simplest.

If this is happening after booting and during the install, turn off apci. You mayalso need to turn off dma during the install. These can be turned back on later in a functioning system.

Since it is both drives, it is either the disk itself or a chipset issue

Not necessarily. If you have both optical drives on the same ide channel, one bad drive can cause both drives to not work. A bad cable can also cause both drives to malfunction. You might want to check if the drives are comming up OK in your bios setup to see if this is a hardware problem. But the first step is to see if the drive(s) will work with another cd just to make sure it's not a scratched cd.

Since it is both drives, it is either the disk itself or a chipset issue

Not necessarily. If you have both optical drives on the same ide channel, one bad drive can cause both drives to not work. A bad cable can also cause both drives to malfunction. You might want to check if the drives are comming up OK in your bios setup to see if this is a hardware problem. But the first step is to see if the drive(s) will work with another cd just to make sure it's not a scratched cd.

Good points. And true. Since it was working and then not, one of the drives might be bad, in which case isolating them in the channel would be the method of troubleshooting.