restart computer options [solved]

riseringseeker

I would like to figure out how to get back one of the little functions that was available in releases before 2006.

Now, when I hit the logout button, I have the options of "End Current Session", "Turn Off Computer", Restart Computer", and "Cancel". The "Restart Computer" button has a little inverted triangle that would make it appear that there are more choices available, but there are not.

In 2005LE, and previous versions that I have had (back to 9.0), after I chose "End Current Session", if I then chose "Restart", I had options of how it restarted - whether to restart normally, fail-safe, non-fb, or windoze. It now simply restarts in normally. The little inverted triangle is there as previously, but it also does not lead to reboot options.

Is the option to choose how the computer restarts now gone, if it's not, what am I missing, and where do I configure it?

:dunce2:

:thanks:

SOLVED!

You are correct! I'm curious, did you stumble onto this, or is there documentation somewhere for this change that I missed? I won't use it much, but it's nice it's still there.

It's not like I need it as much as I once did - I boot to windows quite seldom anymore - and from the looks of it will do so even less with 2006. I have XP in a minimal partition on both the laptop and the desktop.

I seriously considered getting rid of windoze entirely on both machines when I upgraded to 2006, but I decided to keep a copy on both for the following reasons:

Laptop

1) If I want to update the BIOS, HP only has windoze based ways to do it (AFAIK).

2) I had occasional problems with encrypted wireless networks under LE and earlier. I haven't had a chance to try it out much, but it looks like the new drakroam will take care of that. (You might say I travel for a living, and will have lots of chance to try it.)

3) When I am in a hotel, and having trouble connecting, the IT folks have no clue how to trouble shoot if I don't have windoze available (even though MDV has as good, or better tools to do so). They sometimes don't have a clue anyway, but having windoze for them to play with makes them unable to just throw up their hands and give up.

4) Until I got cross-over office, and installed IE, I had to boot to windows to do my monthly bidding for my schedule, as doing so requires Active-X controls, and the company refuses to support a browser other than IE.

Desktop

1) HP sent a number of windoze utilities with the PSC2175 all-in-one printer that are quite nice and I don't want to lose.

2) I occassionally need to send a FAX, and have not bought the driver from linuxant to make that work (probably will someday, though having to pay for a driver for linux that's free under windoze is annoying!).

3) I am sometimes curious as to how something looks/works under "true" windozes.

• 1 year later...

Hi there guys - sorry to bring this old thread up, but I'm experiencing similar problems as riseringseeker did a few years back. I have the option of choosing how to reboot in Mandriva 2007 with my older system, but don't have it in this new PC.

I have googled and searched through KDE & Lilo configs, but nothing.

So where can I configure the options of restarting PC?