Firefox 1.5 available

daniewicz

I am not sure if 1.5 is available yet over urpmi.

Very unlikely that there will ever be an 'official' update to Firefox 1.5 for any existing version of Mandrake. Particularly in MDV2006, many packages are built against Firefox as it contains the Gekco rendering engine used by other apps. This was, IMHO, a mistake because now to satisfy those dependencies a lot of other stuff would have to be rebuilt against Firefox 1.5 because there are major differences between v1.0 and v1.5.

If you want to use Firefox 1.5 you'll have to install it from the Mozilla.org package, or upgrade from Cooker when it eventually shows up there (along with other dependent stuff of course), or wait for MDV 2007. To avoid such problems with Firefox, Thunderbird or OO.org, I just install those 3 apps from the standard download packages. Then it's easy to keep them up-to-date.

Yeah, 1.5 opens faster, page-loads are faster, fwd-back is faster - everything is faster. Plus, on my box with 1.0 the scroll wheel would quit for a bit now and then but not with 1.5. More options in the setup GUI too. Nice. But not THAT nice. I'm still using Links-2 most of the time, like right now. AFAIK Firefox doesn't do text mode. Links is still the lightweight speed champ.

I downloded Firefox 1.5 and based on the comments of one user who said that he used ARK to extract the TAR file I followed suit. That, I must say works very well. I must also say that my Firefox was functionaing as advertised with no problems. Until I decided to re-arrange the folders it had extracted to. Once I made the adjustments to where the startup icon pointed to Firefox would open up two tabs and take forever to load either page. I went to the Firefox forum site and discovered that for some reason another website had been entered into the URL window for my home page. After fixing that everything is back to normal and working fine.

I said all that to say this...In searching for the solution to my multiple tabs opening up issue I read a lot of posts on the Firefox forum from people that were haveing all sorts of problems with FF 1.5. In fact I got the impression that they were very unhappy. I didn't read any of them in detail, only skimmed them to see if the issues were similar to the porblem I was having. But one thing I did notice was that just about every one of them was running windose in one iteration or another.

I've got my 2005 LE all up and running and i am now running Firefox, as stated above and last night I loaded up Thunderbird and the are all running without a hitch....for the most part. :jester:

I've loaded Firefox 1.5 not only on this 10.1 box, but on my Win2kPro workstation at work, my Pentium 450 Toshiba laptop w/WinXPPro, my Dad's Win2kPro Pentium 600, his neighbor's XPHome box, several Win98SE machines, and running Windoze emulated in Linux with both Win4Lin9x w/Win98SE and in Win4LinPro w/Win2kPro. Probably about a dozen different setups. No problems whatsoever with Firefox 1.5 on ANY of those. If I haven't had any problems with any of those configurations, even running in emulation, what is supposed to be the problem??? Jeez, how good, how simple does software have to be before Uncle John and Aunt Margaret can figure out how to use it?

I have seen 2 small problems with Firefox 1.5.

When I click on a wmv video clip, it does not give me the option of specifying which program to use. The only option I have is to download the file. This problem does not occur for mpg files. This problem also was not there in Firefox 1.0.

I like to specify colors for selected text and type-ahead text using the following in my user.js:

user_pref("ui.textSelectBackground", "darkblue");

user_pref("ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention", "#FF33CC");

user_pref("ui.textSelectForeground", "white");

These lines produce selected text which is the same color as the background color :angry: These lines worked fine in 1.0.