My mandriva 2006 free linux keeps freezing

michaelz92

my mandriva 2006(free) version keeps freezing up after it loads and i open up an application. This happens nearly everytime and if it doesn't happen right after i boot it up, it eventually happens anyways. Is there anyway to fix this. Its really bothering me

thanks.

edit: oh yeh and its not hardware related (because the clock does not move at all) and im dual booting with windows(in which windows does not freeze)....

Edited by michaelz92

Try going into the bios and disabling Plug & Play.

Also open MCC .........Services ......and deactivate apic, acpi (if they are listed) and also Harddrake. You can also go into MCC ..............Boot..... and untick .....Enable ACPI...... and tick..........Force No Local APIC.

I hope this helps. Cheers. John.

Does windows work fine even with lots of programs open and heavy use for prolonged periods of time? (Hint: 1 day may not be enough to test, try 2 or 3.)

Maybe John's advice is good in your case - it accounts for many different issues/problems sources.

But windows uses the memory the other way around, so it could be that too.

You could try running memtest86 over night (5 hrs or so should be ok) just to be sure. To install: urpmi memtest86 (I think). It will show up in your lilo bootloader/selector.