Compile mplayer?

I downloaded mplayer (from PLF I think), and when I started it up on the command line, I got the message:

MPlayer 1.0pre7-4.0.1 © 2000-2005 MPlayer Team

CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville (Family: 6, Stepping: 6)

Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes

CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0

Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!

To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.

Mplayer played, but was rather jumpy, so I decided to download and make mplayer with the cpu detection off as suggested. When I run configure --disable-runtime-cpudetection --enable-gui, I get a host of errors:

Detected operating system: Linux

Detected host architecture: i386

Checking for cc version ... 4.0.1, bad

Checking for gcc version ... 4.0.1, bad

Checking for gcc-3.4 version ... not found

Checking for gcc-3.3 version ... not found

Checking for gcc-3.2 version ... not found

Checking for gcc-3.1 version ... not found

Checking for gcc3 version ... not found

Checking for gcc-3.0 version ... not found

Checking for cc version ... 4.0.1, bad

*** Please downgrade/upgrade C compiler to version gcc-2.95.x or gcc-3.x! ***

Problem is, I'm on gcc version 4.0.1 (4.0.1-5mdk for Mandriva Linux release 2006.0)

I see some configure options that may help, but I'm not sure how to use them:

--cc=COMPILER use this C compiler to build MPlayer [gcc]

--host-cc=COMPILER use this C compiler to build apps needed for the build process [gcc]

I'm pretty new at this, can someone give me a hand?

Thanks

Charlie

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I think what you want is to have a gui of mplayer, rather than running it at command line.... you dont need to recompile it to have a gui.. just as root

#urpmi mplayer mplayer-gui ( It should install the mplayer and mplayer gui)

that is if you already added such repositories (main,contrib,updates,plf) but since you've said that you downloaded it and not installing it from urpmi, I assume that you have' nt configured your urpmi repo yet...try to visit this

http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

then select the repo for your 2006 here. then do the command above..

Edited by aioshin

I think I stated my request poorly... sorry.

Two questions:

1. Should I heed the advice of MPlayer and recompile with the --disable-runtime-cpudetection option? My Mplayer GUI performance is a bit choppy. The gui version masks the warning, but is there an underlying truth?

2. Assuming the answer to #1 is affirmative for recompiling, how do I find gcc-3.x RPMs that are compatible with Mandriva 2006? Do I have to remove the gcc-4.x, install gcc-3, compile MPlayer and the remove gcc-3 and reinstall gcc-4?

Thanks,

Charlie

Do not remove gcc 4.X, you are assured to bork your system BLR. What you need is a package named "gcc-compat" or something pretty close to that- sorry that I don't use mandy anymore.

If looking for a good looking mplayer GUI, checkout "kmplayer". The latest versions are quite good, although I still use xine/kaffeine (rather out of habbit than anything else...).

I've found an rpm: gcc-3.4.3-7mdk_4.0.1-5mdk.i586.delta.rpm. Don't know what the 'delta' means tho'... :unsure:

From the errors you got, it seems clear that it will find the right version if it's installed. I guess that a symlink to gcc is created when you install the new version, so this would need to be reset when you revert to the newer version. This probably applies to cc as well, which is symlinked to gcc. If you run gcc --version and cc --version, this should show the links.

You may have realised that I'm making this up as I go along - hope it helps. :)

I sent and earlier post regarding compiling mplayer with an older version of gcc (Compile mplayer?, --disable-runtime-cpudetection). I got some good info.. thanks... but I'm not very secure in my skills here and I need a bit more info.

I looks like there are 2 approaches to take when an older gcc version is required:

1. Download the older gcc version -- without removing the current 4.0.1 version. I've found a gcc 2.95 rpm at http://rpm.pbone.net, but I'm unsure what to do to ensure that I don't mess everything up bigtime. What do I need to do to have 2 gcc versions peacefully co-exist? Is this also going to require back versions of Perl?

2. Use compat-gcc. I can't find a Mandriva rpm for this and I'm unsure of how to use it if I did find one. How would this work in conjunction to the mplayer Configure script that's complaining about 4.0.1?

Thanks,

Charlie