2006 not showing on title bar [solved]

lakelover

You probably just need to install the following package: mandriva-release-2006.0-2.0.20060mdk

Make sure you're up to date on all your 2006 updates first.

Among other things, this package installs/updates these files:

/etc/mandrake-release

/etc/mandrakelinux-release

/etc/mandriva-release

/etc/redhat-release

/etc/release

/etc/rpm/macros.d/mandriva-release.macros

/etc/version

Well, I did all the above, and got the message that everything is up to date. I'm not familiar with the term"repositories" but I did check the Software Media Manager, and all seems to be okay (i.e., all the cd's are listed plus "update source," "main," and "updates."

I have other problems, though, and I don't know whether this is place to post them, but I'll generalized them. I get a bunch of "failed" signs when logging off Mandriva and I get a number of them when I log on. Here's a rundown of the "failed" notations:

1. 'chown' ldap:ldap:i nvalid user

2. user 'maned'' unknown

3. dhcpd

4. squid (/etc/rc5.d/S90 squid: line 53: 23794 aborted

5.httpd: Syntax error on line 22 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

There's more to several of those failed message but this give you the idea.

I'll appreciate any ideas you may have on fixing thses, or should I post a new message here?

Jerry

An Update is not going to install a package that doesn't already exist on your system, it will only update existing packages. The original suggestion was to install the mandriva-release-2006... package, since for some odd reason you don't seem to have it despite doing a 2006 install (which was probably really an upgrade from LE2005 since you are still getting LE2005 version messages). So you need to chose Install Software, not Update, and choose that specific package. You also should consider configuring your repositories or media sources for not only the 2006 Main and Updates sources, but also Contrib, Jpackage, and PLF-Free and PLF-NonFree, as you will see on the Easy-Urpmi webpage. These are the standard sources that you should configure.

Another thing you should check is to execute the following command as the root user in a terminal (aka console). This will indicate what kernel version you have.

uname -r

You should get a response that says: 2.6.12-12mdk. If you don't get this, but instead get something like 2.6.11..., then you don't have 2006 installed, which means you should ignore all the above and re-asses what you've really done and what you've really got installed.

Regarding the other errors you're getting, I have no clue. Maybe someone else might have some tips.

If you're having too many problems, you may need need to think about chalking this install up to a learning experience and do a complete re-install from scratch.

Edited by jboy

I do get 2.6.12-12mdk at the command "uname -r." If I do an "install" rather than upgrading 10.2, will I lose my data files? I do have backups of everything. Hey, I just remembered: when I was having so much trouble, earlier, I did a system restore from a few weeks ago. It could be that I corruped the system by overwriting the 2006 upgrade. So, maybe I better do a new install, then restore the data files. What do you think? By the way I did a complete update from easy-urpm.

This whole things started when I switched to DSL, and installed a wireless home network with a laptop and desktop. I couldn't get the printer to work consistantly, Then messed around trying to get Samba working and everything went whaco. I'm running Linux on the desktop and windows on the laptop.

I guess I'm going to start over with a new install and hope that I can get my data files back in good shape

Just finished a clean install and it worked beautifully. My printer's working and I'm getting the proper 2006 id etc., etc. As far as I know I didn't lose any files in the process. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Jerry

Edited by lakelover