replacing Urpmi with Smart

theYinYeti

How do I replace Urpmi with Smart in the whole system?

On my main PC, I use Smart instead of Urpmi. But in the MCC (Add, Remove, Update...), Urpmi is still the package manager, and whenever an action needing a software install happens, it is using Urpmi (eg: I enabled ntp in the clock configuration, and it asked me CD3).

Yves.

in my box, I added the main,contrib,updates repo via easy urpmi, then as root did a #drakrpm-edit-media and uncheck those CD1-2-3, so whenever I add a package,it wont ask me anymore to insert any cd, but instead go to main, contrib or update... though have'nt tried smart yet as the default

That's how I did so far, but this time, I setup Smart instead, so Urpmi is still in its default state, with the 3CD-set.

Of course, I could setup urpmi too, but I wouldn't like having to maintain the configuration of both Urpmi and Smart.

Yves.

I haven't installed 2006 yet, so I haven't sued Smart.

Can Smart and urpmi co-exist and not walk all over each other's toes?

Can software installed by one be removed by the other for example (or upgraded, or whatever...)

It appears so, according to the Smart FAQ at http://labix.org/smart/faq (excerpt below). For example, I installed some packages with Smart and they appeared in rpmdrake and showed with the rpm -qa command. Should be easy to test - e.g., install some package for test purposes with smart and then use urpme to delete it, or vice versa.

Can I use Smart with APT/YUM/URPMI/whatever?

Yes. Smart is a meta-package manager like APT, YUM and URPMI, meaning it runs over RPM, DPKG or pkgtool. You can run Smart alongside other meta-package managers. Trying out Smart should be very safe.