Can't Do Network Install -- Mandriva 2006

Guest noctiphile

Guest noctiphile

I am trying to install Mandriva 2006 using the network boot floppy and the Additional Drivers floppy. I can't burn a CD. I don't have enough hard disk space to download the trees. I get to a point, and my system freezes.

I start by choosing to install from an FTP server in the first menu. (There is an option there for "third party modules." I don't know what that is for.) Then I put in the Additional Drivers disk and it loads. It then asks for "network connection type." My computer is connected to the Internet through a direct cable connection to the cable modem. My provider is Comcast. I choose a DHCP connection. Up to this point the last message on the log screen is

interface eth0 doesn't support wireless
I don't have anything wireless anyway. The next screen asks for my host and domain names. I tried providing those, and leaving it blank, and it doesn't seem to matter. I'm pretty sure Comcast doesn't use my hostname. After hitting OK it quickly says it is bringing up the network, then it freezes. The log screen says,
DHCP: sending DISCOVER
The kernel message screen says that I got a link up with eth0. When I choose a static IP address connection, it still hangs after saying it is bringing up the network, but after at least a couple minutes it says, "Trying to resolve dns...", and that's the last response I get.

I'm hoping somebody can tell me what the problem is, and give me some instructions on how to fix it. Right now I'm stuck with running only Windows 98 so I would be extremely grateful.