IBM Laptop install woes. .

Guest NEvitable

Guest NEvitable

:help: First off hello all! Im new to the boards so hopefully someone here can help me with the following:

I have an IBM 240x laptop, Pentium II 500mhz, 128ram, 6gb hd. First off it dosent have an internal floppy or cd drive. It does have an attachable floppy which it will boot to. I have a Bantam Backpack CD rom that I use with the laptop but it WILL NOT boot to the cd drive. I did copy over all three cds to the harddrive and create a partition seperate from windows with only those files. I have ran writewin or whatever in the dosutils folder and tried booting to the cd, the hard drive etc. .with no luck. My problem is this, I cant figure out how to install from the harddrive, OR what would be easier would be to get that backpack to be able to be booted from. Any ideas, suggestions etc. . would be greatly appreciated. Remember Im a newb to the Linux world so go easy! Thanks in advance, NEvitable.

Guest NEvitable

Thanks for the link, Ill check it out. The only bad thing is Im kinda on a timeframe. I have a buyer for the laptop, but selling it depends on if I can get Linux installed on it. Hopefully I can find some info on that link, thanks again.

Guest NEvitable

OK, so I read the article and didnt really see a whole lot I havent read in the read me files. But one question I have is, when I did use the hd_grub floppy it said it couldnt read fat volumes/partitions. Im running win 98 and the partitions are both fat32 so maybe this is why it wouldnt recognize that partition? Should I install NT or 2000 and format the partition with ntfs, then add all the mandrake files and create an hd floppy and try again

"?