Changing Window Managers [solved]

Guest zutalors

Guest zutalors

After 2 months of spare moments trying to get XFree86 working with Debian sarge on my crummy home pc, I gave up and tried Mandrake 10.1. It installed flawlessly before I had finished making a cup of coffee and is a delight to use. KDE is the DE installed.

I mainly work from the command line, speedy response is more important to me than look and theme, if the command is not finished before my hand has cleared the keyboard after the last keystroke, I feel like it is 1984 and DOS. But I do sometimes want to boot up into a DE like KDE or Gnome, and sometimes want to use gui-oriented apps for music and photos. Is it possible to choose at login a WM to use? I imagine I could do it with a script such that I type "startx kde" or "startx fvwm". At the moment, I just enter "startx" and KDE fires up, no choice. Can anyone point me to docs which explain how to change the DE/WM, please?

At the command line, log in as root and execute the XFdrake command. Select the Options menu item, which allows you to select the graphical login manager. This graphical login manager allows you to select from among the window managers you have installed. KDE is the default. You can install additional ones until the Mandrake Control Center Install Software utility.

i just posted (dumbly) to the old thread that ian gave about how to do it. i don't do it in a "slick" fashion. but it gets done. mine does involve editing the .xinitrc file. but that's pretty easily done from command-line with vi or anything else.

Guest zutalors

Is it possible to choose at login a WM to use? I imagine I could do it with a script such that I type "startx kde" or "startx fvwm". At the moment, I just enter "startx" and KDE fires up, no choice. Can anyone point me to docs which explain how to change the DE/WM, please?

Ha! It's already done. I typed

startx fvwm

and there it was, fvwm already waiting for me! I am amazed! Thanks for helpful replies, I will try some of the other ideas, too.