Mandriva 2006 and SB Audigy 2 ZS mixers problems

Guest cverr

I was on Mandriva LE 2005 when this problem appeared. Before, I was on Fedora core 4 and everything was fine. Now, I'm on Mandriva 2006 and the problem is still there...

My soundcard is a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

When I open Kmix, I have no input tab, just an output tab and a switch tab. The same thing happens on Alsamixer.

When I was on Mandriva LE 2005, on Kmix I had an input tabe but it was totally empty and Alsamixer never worked and crashed right at the openning and disapeared.

Now, since I'm on Mandriva 2006, I checked more carefully the output tab of both mixers, I discovered that in fact all my input sliders were there in the outpu tab...

As a mater of fact, there are so many sliders on the output tab of Kmix that it gives and extra wide screen and I must scroll from left to right in order to be able to see all of them. No matter what I tried there is no way to have Kmix to have a normal screen witdh.

Thus, apparently something in the system has mixed input with output and has concentrated evrything on the outout tab.

I must tell you that at the beginning, it wasn't like that because when I started to use Kmix right after I moved from Fedora core 4 to Mandrive LE 2005, Kmix had all the right sliders in the appropriate input and output tabs.

However, after some Alsa updates I did using the menu system/config/config-hardware of Mandriva 2006, the problem appeared.

I sure would appreciate any help that would help me solve this problem and have the mixers to work normally as supposed with separate input and output tabs.

Hi chalex20,

I tried to install Kamix but I couldn't.

I had an error message saying that something about KDE prefix was wrong and it refused to install.

Thus, I'm still stuck there...

Franckly, the more it goes, the lower Linux is dropping in my opinion.

I can't install my graphic card drivers, I can't install Amule, I, can't have a normal mixer with appropriate tabs, can't see webcams in Gaim, can't play many video files, java problems in all browsers, can't play many video games, and so on and so on.

I'm seriously considering to return back to Windows.At least, under Windows, you don't have to learn 5 years in university to install an application or a driver because a simple click and that's it, that's all the program is installed and ready to use.

I'm trying since several days to make a bootable DOS 6.22 floppy disk and I found nowhere how to do it under Linux... I couldn't even find a DOS 6.22 iso image...

I saw countless post in countless forums reporting the fact that Kmix and Alsamixer had weird behaviors with the input tab, wich is empty most of the time, with the audigy 2 ZS soundcard but nowhere I could find the trace of an answer...

Hi  chalex20,

I tried to install Kamix but I couldn't.

I had an error message saying that something about KDE prefix was wrong and it refused to install.

May you provide more details so that I be able to provide you with step-by-step instructions?

Franckly, the more it goes, the lower Linux is dropping in my opinion.

I can't install my graphic card drivers,

Which card is it? Nvidia?

I can't install Amule,

Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org . Follow the instructions to add PLF to your repositories. Install Amule.

I, can't have a normal mixer with appropriate tabs,

I'm eager to see normal mixer for SB Live / Audigy as well.

can't play many video files,

Add PLF-non-free to your repositories. Install win32-codecs. Use mplayer, xine, kaffeine, kmplayer, kplayer, in short, anything based on mplayer or xine, to play your video files. They would play. The reason they don't "out of the box" is legal rather than technical.

java problems in all browsers,

Another kind of legal problem. Go to Sun's site, download JRE or JDK ( they even have RPM), install it, enjoy java.

can't play many video games, and so on and so on.

Vast majority of video games are for Windows ( or Sony PS ) and not for Linux. Purchase Cedega, it may help you run most of the games. Or make the computer dual-boot and use each OS in its niche. You haven't to use Linux exclusively.

I'm seriously considering to return back to Windows.At least, under Windows, you don't have to learn 5 years in university to install an application or a driver because a simple click and that's it, that's all the program is installed and ready to use.

If the particular piece of software you're trying to install, is packaged for Mandriva, it's "several clicks away" as well. Use "drakrpm" or "smart" ( in Mandriva 2006), it's exactly the tool for this matter.

I'm trying since several days to make a bootable DOS 6.22 floppy disk and I found nowhere how to do it under Linux... I couldn't even find a DOS 6.22 iso image...

DOS 6.22 under Linux? I'm afraid there is indeed no way, for the very simple reason that DOS 6.22 is not Open Source. Try FreeDOS, it may enable you to make its bootable disk.

I saw countless post in countless forums reporting the fact that Kmix and Alsamixer had weird behaviors with the input tab, wich is empty most of the time,  with the audigy 2 ZS soundcard but nowhere I could find the trace of an answer...

You may also see countless posts in countless forums stating various kinds of software and hardware problems in Windows, and so?

Have you tried to go to www.alsa-project.org and look at their soundcard-related Wiki? http://alsa.opensrc.org/AlsaMixers

Here is the error message that I have when I try to install Kamix:

checking for KDE... configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!
[root@localhost kamix]#    

my graphic card is an Nvidia Geforce 2 DDR and I downloaded the Linux driver from Nividia web site but I've never been able to install it correctly...

Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org . Follow the instructions to add PLF to your repositories. Install Amule.

hey thanks man, I could finaly install Amute :)

I had already visited this page but I didn't understood how it worked at first sight...

I'll try your other suggestions later but so far so good :)

Thanks again :)

[edited by spinynorman]

checking for KDE... configure: error:

in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.

So, check this please and use another prefix!

Install libkdebase4-devel, libkdecore4-devel and libkdemultimedia1-common-devel.

I believe it should suffice.

my graphic card is an Nvidia Geforce 2 DDR and I downloaded the Linux driver from Nividia web site but I've never been able to install it correctly...

If I guess correctly, you need to install "kernel-source-2.6" or "kernel-headers-2.6". Aside from that, Nvidia developers have got an excellent README, find some time to consult it, it will ease the installation.