K3B Trouble [solved]

lrsach01

I'm having a spot of trouble with k3b. It suddenly stopped recognizing blank dvds. And I mean suddenly...as from one day to the next. One day I'm burning fine, the next...boom.

I use a MadDog usb burner recognized by k3b as "MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9."

When burning, the program counts to 40 or 50 secs then says I need to add a double layer dvd. I first thought I had a bad disk so I replaced it but my system had suddenly "lost" the burner. It was still in the Devices folder (I'm using Mandriva 2006 powerpack) but was unmounted and I could not force it to mount. I unpluggeg the cable and plugged it back in, and the burner was seen again (mounted and all).

I got some info from k3b after this debacle repeated it self:

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12.5

KDE Version: 3.4.2
QT Version:  3.3.4
Kernel:      2.6.12-12mdk
Devices
-----------------------
MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9 2.F6 (/dev/scsi/host18/bus0/target0/lun0/cd, /dev/sg1) at /mnt/cdrom1 [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite]
Used versions
-----------------------
mkisofs: 2.1.1a03
growisofs: 5.21

growisofs
-----------------------
:-( unable to open64("/dev/scsi/host18/bus0/target0/lun0/cd",O_RDONLY): No such device or address

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/scsi/host18/bus0/target0/lun0/cd=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:1990992 -dvd-compat -speed=11.9

Any help? BTW the Nautilus burner works just fine...only k3b is acting up.

Run once "kcmshell k3bsetup2" as root, and report back...

What information do you want? The k3b setup sees my cd rom drive, the cd writer/dvd reader as well as the usb drive on both /dev/scsi/host18/bus0/target0/lun0/cd and /dev/sg1. Yes..two separate entries...

In the shell, I get

kbuildsycoca running...
KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/3
QMultiInputContext::changeInputMethod(): index=0, slave=xim
kcmshell: ERROR: (K3bDevice::Device) Unable to do inquiry.
kcmshell: ERROR: (K3bDevice::Device) Unable to do inquiry.

Is there any more info?

Try creating a "burning" group, add your current user in that group, and then logoff and back on. Now try again to burn a DVD. k3bsetup sets the proper permissions for that set of settings.

Again....no dice. The system recognizes the dvd drive is present. When I put a blank dvd in the drive, k3b starts right up. When I try to burn a disk, I get:

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12.5

Devices
-----------------------
MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9 2.F6 (/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/cd, ) at /mnt/cdrom1 [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite]

SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F T902 (/dev/hdd, ) at /mnt/cdrom2 [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]
Lite-On LTN486S 48x Max YDS6 (/dev/hdc, ) at /mnt/cdrom [CD-ROM] [CD-ROM] [None]
Used versions
-----------------------

growisofs
-----------------------
:-( unable to open64("/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/cd",O_RDONLY): No such device or address

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/cd=/home/roy/Documents/pld-catcf.img -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -dvd-compat -speed=11.9

I'm stumped.

I tried going to an earlier version of k3b, dropping from version 12.5 down to 12.3. I even made sure all previous k3b files were erased. When k3b started after plugging in the dvd, I got this message:

cdrecord will be run with root privileges on kernel >= 2.6.8
Since Linux kernel 2.6.8 cdrecord will not work when run suid root for security reasons anymore.
Solution: Use K3bSetup to solve this problem

So I ran k3bsetup. There was NOTHING to change! I enabled the burning group again, but that was it. I have no way of making any changes unless I want to add something. I cannot even remove anything.

So I saved the burning group activation, exited k3bsetup, and started k3b. It recognized that this was the first time I started up and asked to verify the cd writing speed of the usb drive as well as my IDE cd-writer. Then I tried to burn, and got the same message again:

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12

Devices
-----------------------
MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9 2.F6 (/dev/scsi/host4/bus0/target0/lun0/cd, /dev/sg1) at /mnt/cdrom1 [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite]

Lite-On LTN486S 48x Max YDS6 (/dev/hdc, ) at /mnt/cdrom [CD-ROM] [CD-ROM] [None]
SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F T902 (/dev/hdd, ) at /mnt/cdrom2 [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]
Used versions
-----------------------

growisofs
-----------------------
:-( unable to open64("/dev/scsi/host4/bus0/target0/lun0/cd",O_RDONLY): No such device or address

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/scsi/host4/bus0/target0/lun0/cd=/home/roy/Documents/pld-catcf.img -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -dvd-compat -speed=6.1

If there were another dvd writing program, I would not be so frustrated. But the Nautilus dvd writer software is so limited that I really need k3b to work. Any other help?

The Mandriva kernel is already patched, so there's no need to run cdrecord or cdrdao as suid root.

Have you tried updating your dvd+rw-tools version? (latest version is 5.21.4.10.8).

The other thing you could try is disabling the stupid, bugged hotplug daemon (and HardDrake daemon as well)...

Edited by scarecrow

A firmware upgrade, probably?

Your Mad Dog Burner is an external version of NEC 3500AG, which happens to be my DVD burner currently, and it works like a champ with both CD's and DVD's.

Please take a look here - I use Liggy's 2.18 bitsetting/RPC1 firmware with mighty good results.

A major annoyance is that most of these firmware revisions need to be applied within Winbloze... DOH.