kppp jammed

satelliteuser083

I made the mistake of upgrading a totally functional mkd10.1 to LE 2005 and now kppp persists in telling me that the modem is engaged. The latter works as expected under Win 2k Pro, and as I said, it also worked under 10.1, so I can't believe that there's a hardware problem. I assume that kppp has some kind of software record of the modem's state, and that this is the source of the problem. An INSTALLATION of LE 2005 hasn't helped, so now I'm a bit lumbered :angry: . A helpful pointer would be much appreciated.

Edited by satelliteuser083

Perhaps a lock file is left out there somewhere. I'm not in Linux right now but I'd suggest checking for a lock file somewhere in /var or /etc/ppp or /home. Delete it if found (probably will need to be root to delete it).

BTW, kppp can be configured not to use a lock file, if desired. See the kppp configurations screen or file /etc/ppp/options.

Edited by jboy

Thanks, but don't exactly know how to recognise a lock file :unsure: . The nearest that I can find is under /var/lock/subsys; there is a whole bunch of files, mostly 0 byte long, but nothing - as far as I can see - relating to kppp. Neither of the other directories has anything relating to lock.

I've temporarily abandoned the 536EP route and have tried attaching an old (?) external USRobotics Sportster Flash to COM0; LE2005 recognised it immediately. Using MCC I deleted all existing network interfaces and set up a new one using the Sportster and it worked - partially.

After connecting to the provider it tries to start pppd and fails; the following appears in the log-window and subsequently in the debug-log:

Log-window contents are:

ATZ

OK

ATM1L1

OK

ATDT08005190100

CONNECT 33600/ARQ

Starting pppd...

Timeout expired while waiting for the PPP interface to come up.

Debug-log contents are:

Oct 28 19:30:30 localhost pppd[9028]: pppd 2.4.3 started by margit, uid 500

Oct 28 19:30:30 localhost pppd[9028]: using channel 4

Oct 28 19:30:30 localhost pppd[9028]: Using interface ppp0

Oct 28 19:30:30 localhost pppd[9028]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0

Oct 28 19:30:30 localhost pppd[9028]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x821c7cb8> <pcomp> <accomp>]

Oct 28 19:31:00 localhost pppd[9028]: Terminating on signal 15.

Oct 28 19:31:00 localhost pppd[9028]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]

Oct 28 19:31:03 localhost pppd[9028]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "User request"]

Oct 28 19:31:06 localhost pppd[9028]: Connection terminated.

Oct 28 19:31:06 localhost pppd[9028]: Exit.

Any hints??

Edited by satelliteuser083