kdm doesn't shutdown/restart cleanly

mini

A couple of days ago I've installed a new Mandriva 2006. Works fine for me apart from one nasty bug. When I try to shutdown a computer (or otherwise close a kde session e.g. to log in as different user) after loggin off everything goes smooth till about the very end when suddenly I'm stuck with the blue screen and a mouse pointer. I would expect my system to proceed with shutdown at that time (or to see a new login screen in kdm which I'm using).

I had a look to pstree after unfortunate logging out of kde. As I see all kde stuff it's gone apart from X which is still running. So it means that kdm couldn't kill X for some reason. I had a look to log files but nothing is there. I've changed 'nvidia' driver in xorg.conf to 'nv' but problem stays. I've tried to use gdm instead and that works fine. Though when I try to log out of kde then I don't see the option 'Turn Off Computer' and only 'End Current Session'. So to shut down a computer I have to 'End Current Session' end then shut down from gdm. That's by far too much hassle.

I have an AMD 64 system with GeForce FX 5200 graphic card

Anyone experiencing similar problem?

Two ideas:

1. Try reinstalling KDM (should be possible through the MCC).

2. It's a bit of a workaround, but the shutdown command will do the same thing. You could make a bash script to do so and put it on your desktop, or simply type the command.