help with hibernate - ati card

johnh123

OK, so it appears that if you want 3d acceleration with your ati card, you can't have suspend to ram/suspend to disk. For me, on a laptop, the suspend(s) are more important than the 3d. Will the suspend(s) work with an ati card without 3d? Which driver should I use to make this happen?

So far, using 2006, without 3d accel, when I try to suspend I get a kernel panic. My solution so far has been to reinstall. Maybe it just isn't possible with 2006+ati. If anybody has succeeded getting the suspend(s) to work with an ati card I would appreciate some help.

Have you tried the noapic or nolapic options for booting ? this sometimes helps

on my notebook the ati-card wasn't the problem, ACPI is certainly the bigger problem when it comes to suspend, since ACPI works on my notebook neither s-to-r nor s-to-d work as they should, before at least s-to-r worked with software-suspend

Edited by lavaeolus

that's the ACPI option, it must be enabled, because it controls the Power-Management on all modern computers (on older modells this was controlled by APM), the apic is the advanced programmable interrupt controller, it is a hardware-piece that is on the mainboard, as far as I know, ACPI depends on some of its functions, but since both control interrupt-handling, they sometimes get in conflict

the lapic or local apic is mainly (only ?) used by multi-processor systems

It seems that some people had success with suspend by using the multimedia-kernel, which can be found in the contribs-section

the 1GB-kernel seemed to work too, but so far I have not tested this

Edited by lavaeolus

update: the i586-up-1GB-kernel allows me to Suspend-to-Disk, Suspend-to-RAM still seems not to work :cry: , some testing showed me that my synaptics-touchpad seems to be the ugly guy that won't unload its driver upon suspend and spoils a proper resume :angry:

additional note: my graphics-card is an ati radeon mobility M6 LY, noapic and nolapic-options where not needed, acpi must be enabled, I have the acpi, acpid, suspend-scripts, suspend-scripts-force and the hibernate rpms installed on my system, and the swap-partition must be at least 30% more than your phisical RAM

hope this helps

at least now I am a bit more happy :cheesy: