Where should I install 2006 Power Pack?

Arne

Hello Guys,

I am preparing my self to receive 2006 Power Pack in mail shortly and approach installation in due time (No hurry).

My setup is like this:

In my ethernet network I have:

A Thinkpad 600 with Pentium II, 230Mb RAM, 4.3Gb disk and CD rom dedicated to Linux mdk 10.1 running smoothly with 99% of problem solved over the last 5 months. I use it to learn Linux. I can't deny that it is a slow machine with very limited resources.

A Desktop running XP sp2, Intel motherboard(D850MV), Pentium 4 (1.7 Mhz), 512Mb Rambus DRAM, two Hard disk's, Main 180Gb and a 80Gb (IBM Deskstar), Nvidea 6200 graphic card, 19 inch LCD BENQ monitor (FP91G+), Lite On DVD burner and DVD rom, 2 printers, Canon S820 inkjet and a monochrome Laser printer (Samsung 1610), Wireless modem Sierra Wireless Card (sierra 555) and on board Sound (Intel ICH2 Audio Device).

The disk configuration is:

Main 180Gb divided in:

20 Gb C: Windows and winapps

2.5 Gb D: Win Swap disk

5 Gb E: Scratch disk (Photoshop) and temp. Internet files

64 Gb F: My Data

10 Gb G: Linux files FAT32

72 Gb H: Free NFTS formatet

Slave 80Gb divided as follows:

2.5 Gb I: Free

5 Gb J: Free

64 Gb K: Mirror of F: My Data

All the partitions are NTFS except G: Linux FAT32

My options are:

1. Install 2006 on Thinkpad and take out 10.1.

Limited resources and slow machine is not tempting. Futhermore 10.1 ruin so nicely and it break my heart to drop it after all the struggle I had to learn and fix problems.

2. Install 2006 in a dual boot with XP on my main hard disk which is must faster than the slave. I have read that it is simpler to install on a different hard disk. Any way I need to get Linux to recognize as much of my hardware as possible. Graphic card and LSD monitor and wireless modem. I also would like to keep my Local area Ethernet network.

3. Install 2006 in dual boot but on the slave hard disk. The free space is only 7.5 Gb and I don't want to change my mirror partition since it saves every ting in real time to secure my precious data which now run on 37 Gb of data, Photos and music.

Advice and comments.

I will appreciate every advice/hints and/or recommendations you can give.

Any indications as to what problem I will run into and what I should be special careful with?

I am worried about the huge number, in my opinion, bugs reported as my knowledge are limited. Any tips on when the biggest bugs are fixed?

Since I am a heavy user of Photoshop its not likely that that I can drop Windows completely before I have a linux alternative likely "Gimp"?? and that is included in 2006. Bear in mind that my old thinkpad will newer be able to run photo adjustment software of any kind.

Is there someone who have experience with transformation from Photoshop to Gimp or pratical experience with Gimp?????

Hello Guys,

I refuse to believe that no one have any tip or advice. Come on guys whats wrong? Was it to much information or not relevant information? Was I not polite or.....

Reading a lot on the forum I have come to the conclusion that I should:

Make a partition on my master disk on 10 Gb from large free space I have and format it to FAT32

and make a clean installation of of 2006OE, (with "./" of 4Gb, swap 1 Gb and Home = 5Gb) with all hardware connected and turned on.

AussieJohn advised in another topic: That /Home should be installed in a separat partition.

Please how do I do that during installation, John????????

Install boot loader in MBR

Un-install the "kat" with "urpme kat" (kill the cat so to speak)

I bought a 7 cd Power Pack set from PCTech101 in New York, maybe it has the nVidea driver included. If not, I need to download and install a driver for Nvidea GeForce 6200 but will I have my LCD monitor working without????

If 2006 do not recognize my wireless modem I have to use my notebook mdv 10.1 to download the driver.

My wireless modem is uncommon so I worry this will be a problem.

With internet established set up my media for urpmi and update all available updates and fixes.

Any comments or tips on this, please ????????

I would like to wait for more fixes, but I have to try since the software seller demand a reaction on the quality if the CD's.

How can I check the disk without installing. I have downloaded the MD5sum for windows but I have never done this before so help will be appreciated.

Would you recommend me to wait or just go on with it now since nothing in my present setup will be destroyed, right ???????????????????????

Hello quiet friends,

I installed 2006 but failed.

Installation vent smoothly all the way but stopped during Bootloader install with the message:

"Installation of bootloader failed. The following error occurred:

: fatal : Open /dev/sda : No such device or address"

Can somebody please explain what went wrong. All my hardware was connected and turned on, even the USB thumb-drive was inserted.

I choose a free area on my main hard-disk where XP is.

established

/ hda 9 4 Gb

Swap hda 10 1 Gb

/home hda 11 6 Gb

/opt hda 12 5 Gb (to be used for later testing of new versions)

All partitions was formated.

I added Opera 8.5 and some games in the software section but did not change anything in the mdv default selection.

The installation stopped and I had to reboot back to XP

Then the network was down. Internet connection could not be established (error 628: disconnected). Cannot ping main from client or main to client. I will fix this since I believe it is the stupid MS firewall settings. Activated on the wireless modem and deactivated on the local are network will do the trick. My virus program AVG has to be reinstalled.

I run network and Internet setup and Internet connection can now be established on the main (XP box).

Hello still silent guys,

I am thinking about the possible reason for failed installation:

1. Faulty CD set from the supplier. He did not supply the correct md5sum so I cannot check them

2. "Installation of bootloader failed. The following error occurred:

: fatal : Open /dev/sda : No such device or address"

Why is it asking for, or rather cannot find "sda" which is USB device? I had a usb multi-card reader connected with no card inserted during install.

3. Checked that BIOS take care of Plug and play.

4. Before installation I checked that I had around 71 Gb free (not partition by XP). I choose "manual partition" when the screen opened it shows all the XP partition on the left side of the box and a white free area to the right representing the 71Gb. free. I activated the white area and established the partitions (please see previous reply).

According to recommendations on this forum I established one additional partition "/opt" for easy testing of new versions. I don't know what "opt" in "/opt" stands for, hoping it is optional. Right or wrong???

I did not use the "auto allocation".

In a couple of hours I will install again:

1. un-connect usb thumbdrive and multireader.

2. manual partition with auto allocation

3. Accept all default software and add nothing.

I will report back. Thanks for your attention

Sorry arne but no one was ignoring you. You were just unlucky enough to pick a time (weekend) when a lot of members do not log in. Although I have logged in over this time it was mainly to follow up on previous posts that I had made. I have only just started to look at new stuff and found yours.

Regarding the seperate partition for /home it is really quite easy during the install.

When you do the install you are asked whether to use existing partitions or to do custom. Choose custom and use the partition manager to create the partition of the size you want and in the part to give the partition a title type in /home ...exactly as I have shown here so do not use upper case letters. You should have no difficulty in following the fairly intuitive process.

Main thing is to not lose your patience because you might get ignored and none of us want that to happen I can assure you. A big welome to you at MUB.

Cheers. John.

Hello guys,

Thanks for reply John. Since my post was opened on October 24. which is a Monday 8 days ago I believe the helping angels, which all of you are, was to busy with problem solving on 2006 installation.

Anyway last night I installed 2006 again and this time I was lucky. I have 2006 running smoothly on a dual bot with XP. I must gratulate Mandriva with an even smoother and better distro than 10.1. It recognized and configured both my printers and that couldn't 10.1 do. My 19inch BENQ and nVidea graphic card GeForce 6200 worked flawlessly after I inserted the identity and the screen resolution. Now I am ready to experience Linux on a fast computer but I still have 10.1 intact on my old and slow notebook.

Unfortunately I have some problem I work on:

1. I have problem to connect to my modem which is a wireless modem connected to a PCMCIA adapter. which is the only Internet option I have since no fixed phone line is available where I live. So far I have tried "ppp0" but it don't work. Before, I connected the notebook's browser trough LAN to the modem on my desktop running XP.

Now, 2006 must connect to and use the modem directly and that turns out to be a problem which I expected. But to solve it maybe more difficult.

2. The second problem is to get Epson Perfection 2450 to work. I know you have the same scanner John, I read in your struggle to get it work with a IEEE.... connection. Mine 2450 is connected trough USB2 High Speed.

In mcc, scanner setup it shows available scanner Epson GT-9700 Flatbed scanner. Then underneath is an option to identify a scanner manually. Choosing this I enter 2450 identity and accept the rest and then mcc confirm 2450 is configured and say it will reconfigure the available scanner. Then it rudely come back and confirm the default available Epson GT-9700.

Running XSane or Kooka confirm this GT-9700 is the one I have chosen....arg...arg

John did you have the same experience. If so, what is the trick??????????????

3. Both computers running linux the network show connected but I cannot "ping" in any direction and 10.1 cannot use the desktop Modem.

Any tip or advice gentlemen?????

Hello guys,

I am working on PCMCIA Sierra Wireless AirCard555 modem in order to get Internet connection. It's a manual operation and the status now is to check whether mdv2006 recognize my modem card.

I have run wvdial and got the following output:

[root@localhost arne]# wvdial

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0

--> Warning: section [Dialer Defaults] does not exist in wvdial.conf.

--> Initializing modem.

--> Sending: ATZ

--> Sending: ATQ0

ATQ0

OK

--> Re-Sending: ATZ

ATZ

OK

--> Initializing modem.

ATQ0

OK

ATZ

OK

--> Initializing modem.

ATQ0

OK

ATZ

OK

Can anybody please confirm that this output confirm that my modem is recognized.

If possible please don,t let me wait for days. :cheesy:

The topic for this tread was how to install mdv2006 and without any help from this forum it is:

SOLVED

I have some problems to be solved, se below, and I will take new posts for each.

1. To enable internet connection on my PCMCIA Wireless modem

2. To get my Epson perfection 2450 scanner with USB connection to work.

3. My LAN to work again and setup 2006 as the main host as XP was before I installed 2006 in dual boot.

4. USB flash and my multi card reader is not recognized.

Only AussieJohn have thankfully replied to my 5 posts so this time I have nobody else to thank.

Edited by Arne

Hello arne. Glad you have made a lot off progress, albeit on your own.

Yes, what you found about the Epson 2450 seemingly showing up as some other model is exactly as I experienced but it always worked.

What I have done in the meantime was to buy a cheap Firewire pci card (because my mainboard did not have onboard firewire) and connected the scanner to firewire instead of usb.

Although at first I could not get the scanner to work I did a reinstall of 2006 and had instant success. The same applied to my 2005-LE, namely no luck until I did a reinstall with the card already in place. I did not have to do any setting up of the scanner, it just worked straight off in both OSs. It also seems much faster and responsive. I can switch the scanner off and reboot the system and when logged back in again, switch it on and it works immediately. This was not always the case when using usb, which I think still has not been fully sorted out yet.

Considering how long usb has been around, it is disappointing that so many problems still exist with usb devices.

Regarding your lan connection. Are you connected to ADSL ??? If you are and connected to lan then DO NOT select adsl in Mandriva Control Centre ------> Internet and Network----------> Set up a new network interface (LAN, ISDN, ADSL, ....

Make sure to select LAN Connection only

Cheers. John.

Thank's john,

I will try to use it with the wrong scanner name on USB first. If it fails, I will do as you did since I have a free PCI port.

Thank's for the tip on LAN. No I use an odd wireless modem with a speed beteween ADSL and a normal call up modem since I dont have access to a normal phone line at the moment.

Thank's to you John