How to install Mandrake or Mandriva on hd usb

Guest Zenith

Hi all...

I've a problem..

I've an hd usb ,and i want to install Mandrake or Mandriva on it...

I try it but with no success...!!! :cry:

How can I do..??...Can you help me step by step...??

thanks...

I've never tried it but there is a thread on it here:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=23913

Read the whole thread, especially:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...91entry176591

Also check out: http://ylraw.free.fr/files/mkusb/ Be sure to read the procedure at http://ylraw.free.fr/files/mkusb/mkusb.txt

Sorry I can't guide you any further than to point out these links.

What version of Mandriva do you plan to install?

2006 is the best for usb hard drive so far. I have tried 10.1, LE 2005 with so much trouble configure the drive to run. 2006 installation process recognizes the usb hard drive with no problem and 2006 runs wonderfully off the usb drive. I have a WD Passport 40 Gig drive. About half is for Mandriva 2006 and the other half is FAT32 for both winblows and linux.

J.T.

I've planed to install Mandrake 10.0..because with Mandriva free 2006 I can't install it in expert mode.. :screwy: ...

your version of mandriva 2006 supports expert mode..

thanks..bye..

I've planed to install Mandrake 10.0..because with Mandriva free 2006  I can't install it in expert mode.. :screwy: ...

your version of mandriva 2006 supports expert mode..

thanks..bye..

10.0 is a bit tricky to install on a usb drive. You don't need expert mode to install 2006 on a usb drive. The installation should go as if you install it on an internal hard drive but choose the usb drive instead. The usb drive should be sdx (x stands for the letter of scsi device). If you have only the usb drive connect to the system, then it should be sda. After choosing the drive, partition as usual and install. After the installation, if you system is capable of booting from usb, then you just change in the BIOS to boot from usb as the first boot option. After booting from the drive, make a rescue boot cd so that you can boot the usb drive from systems that don't have usb bootable option in the BIOS.

J.T.

Zenith

I have installed 10.1, 2005LE and 2006 on external hard drives. Of the three the easiest to install was 2006 i586. It is also the easiest to use IMHO. I did not install the Mandriva supplied version but the open source download version. I have found it best if possible to have your hard disk partitioned before starting your install. When I partition my hard drive I use ext3 format and if necessary reformat at install time.

Due to the various flavors of usb drives some my require more work than others in order to boot. You may have to install a custom initrd with the necessary usb modules. If you have boot problems it is much easier to sort them out if you use a livecd such as PCLOS or MEPIS.

At this time I have 4 distros on USB drives- 1 drive has Mandriva 2006 and Sarge installed. A second drive has PCLinuxOS 9.1 and Kanotix installed.

Since my computer can boot from USB I do NOT put my boot loader in the MBR of my internal hard drive. All boot loaders are placed on my external drive. I usually put one distro in the MBR of the external drive with the others in their respective partitions and chain load them.

oldman

Zenith sorry I got windy and forgot the question.

How to install:

In the past I have found that many installers have problems with partitioning usb drives as the some times do not see a none linux usb drive. If you run into this problem get a SimplyMepis liveCD and use it to partition your drive. That said here goes:

1. Set your compurt to boot from cd. Boot your Mandriva install disk.

2. Answer each question as it comes. All the stuff, language etc.

3. When you get to install section there will be a section about how and where to install. If you have partitioned the USB drive select the Install on existing partitions option. Then select the sdX drive partitions you wish to use. I use 3;

1 for / usually about 10GB 1 for swap 1GB and 1 for /home also 10GB. Different people like other sizes, all will work. Allow the installer to format the partition again- some partitions software does not do a complete format job. (Partition Magic for one).

Mandriva will then format and install the software using the packages you select.

If you have not partitioned the drive see if Mandriva sees it and if so, let Mandriva do it. Specifing the partitions you want- While most use at least 3 only 2 are absolutly necessary. One for the software and data and one for swap.

After installing the software, passwords etc. Remove the install disk.

Shut down - make sure your computer is set to boot from USB- Reboot and enjoy.

On the off chance that it does not boot up DO NOT panic. Just post a message in the install forum and answers will come forth. In that event it will help to have a liveCD linux distro. Not ablolutly necessary but useful.

oldman