Problems with Firefox

Guest Electrik Prodigy

Guest Electrik Prodigy

I am relatively new to Linux, with Mandriva being my first Linux distro. This means that I am quite inexperienced with the command line, and can mainly get around with doing everything on the GUI. Sometimes, when loading a new page in Firefox, my screen turns into a rainbow colour. The only way I know how to fix this is by changing my screen resolution. Other times, my screen just freezes up completely, and I have to do a forced reboot. My friend tells me that it could also be my video card, in which case I should tell you that it's a Nvidia Geforce 6600GT. I did not install any drivers for it yet, as I currently don't know how to properly install a driver on a Linux system. The same goes for Firefox, which is running version 1.0.6 right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

post-8546-1129426626_thumb.jpg

Ok, #1. If it completely freezes, instead of force rebooting, try Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart the X server, which should achieve the same thing.

#2. To install the drivers for your card, you can get them from nvidia.com and if you aren't sure how to follow the directions in that readme, just ask us and we will help.

Not sure if that's the problem, but try installing the drivers and see if that helps anything. You could also try upgrading Firefox to 1.0.7, but I'm not sure if that would make much difference.

I too think it is your video card not setup correctly. Firefox doesn't need any form of driver. It is an application, not hardware.

There is any amount of tutorial stuff here on MUB about installing Nvidia drivers and it really is quite simple to follow. Don't let it faze you, carefully follow the routine and you will be AOK.

In fact on Nvidias website where you get the latest driver, they also have the detailed install instructions as well. Nvidia is making biiiiiigg efforts to make us Linux users happy.

Also use Mandrake Control Centre to check if Monitor-edid has been installed. It will be on your install cdroms if not already installed. If it has not, then do that before you worry about the Video card driver because it may be mostly your Monitor settings are incorrect for your particular monitor. In fact the more I think about it the more I feel it may be incorrect monitor settings.

Oh, and not forgetting, Welcome to MUB. Cheers. John.