Can't Shut Down

lrsach01

I just installed Mandriva 2006 powerpack (that torrent took FOREVER). Install went great...no problems. System started up....no problems. Programs up and running..all going great. Then I shut down my box. First, I logged out of KDE to get the menu. From the menu, I choose to shut down the computer (not restart). The screen goes blank and then fills with strange white characters. Any ideas? What other information can I provide? This is a pentium 4 with 1 gig ram and an NVidia graphics card.

I have shut down issues with 2006 as well. When I try to logout, reboot or shutdown, the system hangs at a blue screen. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I haven't figured out why, but the workaround is to hit Ctrl-Alt-F1. That will take you to a terminal, command line login. Login with your username and password and then run:

$ halt

or

$ reboot

Alternatively, don't even try to shutdown with the kde menu entry; just open a console and run the above commands.

No NTFS here but I got it fixed somehow. I installed another kernel on it for win4lin and was trying to get the nvidia driver working on it. Nvidia wouldn't compile properly with the new kernel because the kernel was compiled with gcc-3.3 and mdv2006 has only gcc-4.0.1. Actually, the module compiled but refused to load complaining of the version mismatch. I rebooted into my old kernel and no more shutdown problems at all.

The above leads me to believe it's a problem with mandriva's nvida installation which was corrected by my failed attempt to install the nvidia driver on another kernel.

You might try dowloading the most recent nvidia driver and reinstalling.

Edit: OK. I spoke too soon. Had a little more time to look at things and it seems that Opengl(i.e. 3d acceleration) is no longer working; I'm sure it was working before. The nvidia screen comes up and the driver loads but I just get error messages when I try to run glxgears. I also have the suspicion that if I get 3d back, my shutdown problems will return. All this definitely points to a problem with the nvidia driver, xorg and manadriva's implementation of the same. Will try to experiment a little more this weekend.

Edited by pmpatrick

any good tips on the best way to do this...I'm not the most proficient with the command line...just NO FEAR... (good  back ups help)

:)

One solution is adding "noauto" at your NTFS partition fstab entries, and mounting/unmounting them manually. Unmounting may actually fail, or create a kernel oops!

Another solution is using an unofficial "inotify" patch which worked for the 2.6.12.X series kernels, but for some reason never found its way to the kernel code.

And a third solution, is compiling a 2.6.13.X kernel, which does not have this issue. However, it does have a few other issues!