Several problems installing Bluefish v1.0

Gustavo

Hello, everybody.

I'm using Mandrake v10.1 and RPM v4.2.2, and I need to install the latest Bluefish version, but I cannot do it neither using the RPM file nor the source.

Bluefish requieres gtk version 2.0 or higher, libpcre 3.0 or higher and (optional) libaspell 0.50 or higher, and I do have them.

This is what happens when I try to install it from the source:

• I run ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bluefish, and I got the next error message: "configure: error: libgtk2.0-dev missing please install libgtk2.0-dev".
  • I search for libgtk2.0-dev in google but I can only find a Debian Package, so I must convert it into a RPM file and the one program I know to do this is Alien.
  • Alien was successfully installed, but when I run alien -r -c libgtk2.0-dev_2.6.4-3_i386.deb, I got this: "sh: line 1: rpmbuild: command not found" (though there were two files named "/usr/share/man/man8/rpmbuild.8.bz2" and "/usr/lib/librpmbuild-4.2.so").
  • So I downloaded and tried to install rpm-build-4.2.2-15mdk.i586.rpm, and when I typed rpm -Uvh --test rpm-build-4.2.2-15mdk.i586.rpm I got this:
    error: Failed dependencies:
           autoconf is needed by rpm-build-4.2.2-15mdk
           automake is needed by rpm-build-4.2.2-15mdk
           spec-helper is needed by rpm-build-4.2.2-15mdk

And I do have them all.

And when I try to install it with the RPM:

• When I run rpm -Uvh --test bluefish-1.0.4-1.fc4.i386.rpm, I got this message:
    warning: bluefish-1.0.4-1.fc4.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID aedc1ccb
    error: Failed dependencies:
           desktop-file-utils is needed by bluefish-1.0.4-1.fc4

• So I dowloaded and tried to install desktop-file-utils v0.10, but I got this error message when I ran ./configure:
    configure: error: popt 1.5 or newer is required to build
    libgnome. You can download the latest version from ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.0.x/

Althought there are a few similar files:
    /usr/lib/libpopt.so.0
    /usr/lib/rpm/rpmpopt-4.2.2
    /usr/lib/rpmpopt
    /lib/libpopt.so.0.0.0
    /lib/libpopt.so.0

• Anyway, I downloaded and installed popt-1.8.2-15mdk.i586.rpm with no problem.
  • Now I retry to run ./configure (in order to install desktop-file-utils), but I'm still getting the same error message. **

** Thanks to google I could find this message which may help to solve the problem around popt, but I'm not sure if I should do that.

BTW, Mandrake's install CDs include Bluefish v0.1... Isn't it possible to update it from the Mandrake Control Center (MCC)?

I hope you guys can help me... Thanks in advanced!

Regards

You can install Bluefish from rpm easily, but you're doing some things wrong.

First, you using an old rpm update command to install. The old rpm commands are outdated and of limited usefulness (though in rare instances they do still have a place). Use 'urpmi' instead - see 'man urpmi'. There's also plenty of info about urpmi on this forum. Just do a quick search. Urpmi works much like and is just as powerful as apt-get in Debian and will automatically handle dependencies for you, including (if you setup online sources) auto-downloading and installing packages and any dependencies. The old rpm commands do none of that. 'Software Management' in MCC is just a GUI frontend for urpmi, but urpmi is very easy and more powerful if used from the command line.

To best use the considerable power of urpmi, go to the 'Easy-Urpmi' link near the top right of any page of this forum. Follow the simple instructions to setup your online package sources. You'll want to add at least the 'Main', 'Updates', 'Contrib', 'PLF' (both free and non-free) and maybe some others like the Seer of Souls rpm repository.

Second, you're trying to install a rpm for Fedora Core 4. You should be using a Mandriva rpm if possible. A quick check showed bluefish-1.0.4 not available yet in a Mandriva rpm. I didn't spend much time looking, but the newest rpm version a quick check turned up is v1.0.2, from Seer of Souls. If that's not new enough, by using urpmi to handle dependencies there's a fair chance you can install the FC4 rpm. If that fails too and you still feel you must have the very latest 1.0.4 version, you'll have to use the source package you downloaded, but install it by using checkinstall to very easily 'roll your own' rpm instead of installing the source package itself. If you aren't familiar with checkinstall, just install it with:

# urpmi -v checkinstall

...then 'man checkinstall' or a quick Goole will pull up plenty of info. Checkinstall is very handy.

Edited by Crashdamage

I got about 6 months using GNU/Linux and your message was very useful for me.

I decided to install the SOS version you mentioned with urpmi.

I spent a few hours trying to install bluefish yesterday, and with urpmi it just took about 1 minute.

Thanks both Crashdamage and anna!

Regards.