windows ---> linux programs

Guest swiftstealth

Guest swiftstealth

hey everyone im very new to linux and mandriva but i just installed it today! i must say im pretty impressed and if you can answer my question i dont think there is any reason for me to ever use my windows partition ever again! lol really this is quite an OS. (BTW i installed Mandriva LE2005)

my question is totally newbie-ish so im sorry about that. i was wondering if there are any programs that come with mandriva or that can download for free that can open windows programs IN linux. for example i have no problem with "kopete" or "gaim"... but if i could choose i would rather use cerillian studio's TRILLIAN... however i cannot find a version for linux and therefore i feel i am at loss... i have seen games like WCIII and AOE along with apps like LIMEWIRE on mandriva screenshots so i am guessing there is something that can do that... any help would be appreciated! TY

ALSO this is quite newbish as well but i have seen games like WCIII and AOE along with apps like LIMEWIRE on mandriva screenshots so i am guessing there is something that can do that... i tried to download the new linux update for firefox and i clicked the "firefox.ini" file and nothing really happens... i was wondering how to unzip it from the "tar.gz" file thingy... do i need to download something to do this it doesnt work like ".zip" which i am accustomed to and i know this isnt windows but im just slow at this stuff...

congrats to everyone in the linux and especially MANDRIVA community this is quite an OS that you all have built up and that i hope to somhow eventually contribute to as well. any help with any of the problems about would be greatly greatly appreciated so thank you everyone very much

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

1. About emulation of Windows programs. There are a few things you can do. #1 If you don't want to pay, you can try wine. It often doesn't get great results but is worth a try. To download go into the Control Center (mcc) and go to add programs and search for wine and install it. You should setup your urpmi repositories as well because that makes program installation a whole lot easier. #2 You can get Cedega, which costs $5 a month, but will often play the newest 3D games like WoW and such. #3 You can get Codeweavers Crossover which will probably not do games but may do Trillian, dunno cuz I've never used it! It costs money as well. You have some options in the emulation realm but I'd just learn to love Gaim or Kopete. A lot of these apps take a bit of getting used to but I often prefer them after I have.

2. Assuming you did the default install, you will have ark installed (if not go into the Control Center and install it). You can unzip the tar.gz with it by double-clicking on it. After that, just click "extract" at the top and extract it somewhere. Go into the folder and click on the Firefox installer program. That should work, and it's fairly easy to install. Alternatively, if the newest version isn't super important to you, you can install it from the MCC (Mandrake Control Center), it will be listed under mozilla-firefox most likely.

3. Linux is a great thing. Welcome aboard!