Insert Blank Disc Crashes MDK 10.0

kfoss

Hi,

I have narrowed my problem down to that when I insert a blank disk (cd-r or dvd-r(w)) into my Pioneer DVR105, the default burning program starts up. After this happens, if I try to burn something, I get a kernel error in ide-scsi. This occurred with K3B and the one with Konqueror. If the disc is in and I reboot, the burning is fine. How do I turn off the autostart of a burning program when a disc is entered?

Kevin

Have you applied updates to your machine? If not, it might be worthwhile doing this as it might fix this type of problem.

You can find under System/Configuration/Software/MandrakeUpdate

Also, what kernel version are you running? You can find this out by opening a terminal window and then typing:

uname -r

this will then report something like kernel-2.6.8.something version. If you could let us know, this might help us in case the updates don't work (updates don't normally update kernel - this is manually updateable).

I am currently running the stock 2-6-3-7mdk kernel for MDK 10.0. I have applied all the updates thus far, but have not yet migrated to 10.1 or 10.2.

At this point I would find it useful to just be able to turn off the autoplay feature for the DVD -RW drive.

I'll be honest and say, I've no idea where this option is. It's not something I've ever come acrossed to be honest. I've always used 10.1 and above, although I did try 10.0 briefly before I switched to 10.1 but probably never used it to find out.

One thing you could try, is go into System/Configuration/Software/Install Software and then select the All option, type in kernel, and then see what versions of kernel are available.

If a 2.6.8 kernel is available, you could upgrade to this and see if it resolves the problem. Or hang in there, someone who knows how to disable this auto-play option might jump in on this thread :P

As far as I can tell, K3B does NOT have an auto play feature. It is strictly about burning and unlike Nero and others does not contain a player or links to a player. If you are wondering where to turn off the auto open of K3B when you insert a blank disc then I don't think there is that option.

Think about it, what purpose would you be inserting a blank disc unless it was to burn it it ??? Any other purpose would be pointless.

You are looking for something that does not exist.

I think your problem is elsewhere and has nothing to do with K3B or the burner programs.

I think you need to open MCC -----> Mount Points ------>Set where your CD/DVD burner is mounted and click on it. You should see the same as my snapshot below. If it is not the same (only the hdd maybe different, perhaps hdb or even hdc depending on where it is connected on the IDE)

(If you only have one optical device then it should read cdrom rather than cdrom2) then make the necessary changes. I suspect that the burner is being selected as a scsi device when it isn't.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

John,

Thanks, my drive is a Pioneer DVR-A05 which is an old 4xDVD-R(W) drive. I know that in some cases it is good to have an autoplay or auto-'whatever' capability. However, at this point, I want to remove the function as it happens whenever I insert a blank disk. It knows I want to burn. But once one of these programs starts, the ide-scsi module is corrupted.

At this point I know that this is a known problem in the 2.6.3 kernel. I know that upgrading to 10.1/10.2 would get rid of this problem, but I'm not ready to do this yet. My system is exact the way I want it and is as stable as I have ever had it, except this ide-scsi thing. Someone has to know how to set this option of autostarting. It wasn't in earlier version of Mandrake like 8.0, or 9.0/9.2.

Like I said, the problem is that your burner is apparently set up as a scsi device when it is not. The model is not the issue. Trying to modify the K3B application to try to compensate for some other problem seems pretty pointless to me.

Why are you wary about using an up to date kernel ??? Just because your system seems pretty stable at the moment doesn't mean it will become unstable if you install the latest kernel (remember to install the matching Kernel-source as well).

You can download and install the latest kernels without necessarily doing an upgrade if an upgrade bothers you.

Referring back to 8.0 is kind of pointless because it hardly compares at all with Mandriva2005-LE. So much has changed with hardware, drivers etc., its like comparing T-model Fords to modern motor cars.

I have been using K3B almost from the time it first came out and rarely ever had any trouble with it and when I did it was usually caused by something else so no way would I try modifying it instead of curing the real cause.

However you are free to do what you want since it is your computer but don't be surprised if no one here has an answer for you. You may be lucky but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Did you do the check I suggested as shown in the snapshot ??? or didn't you bother ???

Cheers. John.

John,

Yes, I have actually looked at MCC at I know that my drive is listed as /dev/sr0. This is due to the fact the in LILO I have to have hdc=ide-scsi in order to make my burner burn. Otherwise it's just a slightly more expensive DVD-ROM. This is one of the problems with the 2.6.3xxx kernel, that you need ide-scsi emulation to make burners work.

I have tried to update my kernel as well. The stock kernel for 10.0 is 2.6.3-7mdk. The Mandrake update downloaded 2.6.3-27mdk. Just to ensure that all was koshier, I compiled and installed the -27mdk version. No matter what I did, reboots, re-configs, I could never get my keyboard and mouse to work again. So I left the -7mdk as the default in LILO and here I am.

Eventually I will upgrade to Mandriva2005(10.2) and hopefully the new bugs that are introduced will not affect me. I will likely dualboot 10.0 and 10.2 until I have all of my current config working on 10.2.