Problems with the i8k module

Jza

I recently activate my laptop's ehternet card, since then I have experience very slow booting thing. Mainly is when the system is checking for Swap partition and Mounting local filesystem.

There is no error flag but I think is either not finding a file or something similar.

Can anyone help me... regards..

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Do you have Harddrake selected in MCC ----->System -----> Enable or disable the system services, ???.

If you have then disable it because you are not changing hardware so it is totally unnecessary for it to look for new hardware each time you reboot.

Hope this helps. John.

so i go to harddrake2 and I get a list of unrecognized modules, one is i8k and the other is 8kutils.

# modinfo i8k
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko.gz
author:         Massimo Dal Zotto (dz@debian.org)
description:    Driver for accessing SMM BIOS on Dell laptops
license:        GPL
parm:           force:Force loading without checking for supported models
parm:           restricted:Allow fan control if SYS_ADMIN capability set
parm:           power_status:Report power status in /proc/i8k
vermagic:       2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk 586 gcc-3.4

The problem with this modules is that are the major reason why my laptop take ages too boot.

I get a 10-15 minute freeze on my laptop everytime is triying to mount the file systems.

This mean that on the boot process (the list with the OK) it get stuck right after mounting the swap detecting devfs instead of udev and then the mounting filesystem is just stuck for 10 min.

The i8k module is used for Dell laptops so I think that is vital to the boot process and vital to being recognized. (I am on a Inspiron 4000).

Hi John, is a laptop and sometimes I swap pcmcia cards. On the other hand thought, I also get on harddrake some modules that are labled as unknown. These are i8k and pkg8kultils which are the one that handle the fan on the Dell Laptops.

I dunno why ever since a few days ago are labeled as unknown. :help: