Starting the desktop after install of 10.1

Guest robarooney

Guest robarooney

I've installed version 10.1 on my old Dell PC - Dell Dimension XPS M233s. I wiped the hard drive first using killdisk and then installed 10.1 from this ISO -

Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso

The install goes smoothly but after I remove the CD and restart the computer, all I get is the user login / command line. Then, I use the name and password that I set up and I get another command line.

I am a complete newbie to linux so I don't know the command to start KDE. I have used Linspire 5 on my Sony laptop and Linspire worked just like Win, never showing a command line. Why not use Linspire on the Dell? I can't get it to install at all. Mandrake/Mandriva installed without any problems.

If someone can tell me how to start KDE without any file editing, etc.

Thanks !!!

Welcome to the board. One thing you should be aware of is that mandriva requires three cds for a full install. You can usually get a minimal install going with only the first cd, but I don't recommend that for some one new to linux. Also, 10.1 is kind of old by linux standards. 10.2, aka LE2005 has better laptop support, among other things and Mandriva-2006 will probably be released for public download within the next month.

For your immediate problem, try startx but it problably won't work. If that's the case, you will need to rerun your graphics configuration which can be done from the command line. Just login like you did before and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# XFdrake

That will bring up the graphics config program, XFdrake. You navigate the menus using the arrow keys and you can reset your graphics card driver, resolution, monitor, color depth, etc. Most importantly, there is a "Test" option in the menu which allows you to test to see if your config changes were successful.

Guest robarooney

Thank you, pmpatrick and a shout-out to the other "answerers".

You are correct. I did not load the other two disks that I have. So, how do I install the other two disks? I tried putting in the 2nd disk after the first one had finished, expecting the 2nd disk to start automagically but it didn't.

Rob