Mandriva offered by Dell and HP (Wow!)

guppetto

CNet is running a short write up about New Low cost Laptops from Dell and soon HP that will come preloaded with Mandriva. Will 2006 be the year that Mandriva goes mainstream with Laptop manufacturers. The upcomming HP announcment isn't much of a surprise, but I never would have guessed that Dell would consider offering anything outside of RedHat. Cooker is looking pretty impresive and the upcomming community release should get good reviews. The interesting thing is that Mandriva will have a whole new look at the end of 2006 with the Connectiva and Lycoris changes scheduled to be in place by the end of that year (Check out SMART if you haven't already). When you consider that the new KDE desktop (KDE4 - eye candy galore- as well as the new Xorg) will be out by then as well, Linux and Mandriva have a unique opportunity to make a major mainstream name for themselves. Man, if only Mandriva would Launch an advertising campain to go along with this announcement. Dell could provide them with a lot of credibility among everyday consumers. The key here is definitely Dell, becuase I've got 3 cousins going to college in a coulple of months and although I prefer to build PCs, you better belive that based on price I recommended that they all look at low cost dell Laptops. Now I wonder how much support Dell and Mandriva will provide for the rest of the Dell notebook lineup. Could we be seeing a Mandriva Mobile Edition soon along with the Community release?

Heres a link to the story:

Latest Dell Laptop runs on Mandriva Linux

Eweek also has a write up:

Eweek Article on Mandriva Dell Partnership

For those to lazy to click the link above, here is the short write up. :D

PC maker Dell on Friday introduced a sub-$1,000 laptop preloaded with a Linux operating system from European publisher Mandriva Linux. The Dell Latitude 110L comes with 1.4GHz or 1.7GHz mobile Celeron/Pentium M chip, 256MB to 1280MB of memory and a DVD drive. The lowest-priced model in the 110L line costs about $930, or 759 euros.

According to Mandriva, Dell's rival Hewlett-Packard will follow suit. The European open-source software firm, formerly known as Mandrakesoft, is already in talks with HP about future projects.

:thanks:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

According to the source I read, you can't find it anywhere on their website though. This is good news (too bad the OS is just the limited edition rather than the full version). I hope other makers start to use other brands of linux as well. Maybe we can get something where each pc maker uses a different Linux distro.