Mandrake 9.2 on Compaq M2000 notebook

Guest san70001

Guest the_maassk

Finally, another Compaq Presario user! I have an M2201TU (I believe it only differs in the processor from the M2208TU). I've been using Mandrake 9.2 on it for a while now.

Display and sound was a problem for me too. The OEM CD that HP shipped only had drivers for the Conexant modem inside the laptop. No sound! I fiddled around with the Linuxant drivers for a while...no luck!

After a lot of hunting around, I decided to give ALSA a try. Downloaded the latest ALSA build with libs and tools. Installed. The sound works fine now :-). It gets detected as an i8x0, but works none-the-less. I'm still trying to get alsamixer to remember my settings (have to manually unmute them every time I have to reboot). Something tells me that the ALSA drivers pipe to the OSS plugin my XMMS has...so it is working. The ALSA plugin for XMMS does not work though. But music I do have!

Display - Defaulted to vesa on installation. Tried the packages from Intel's website...do not work. The script fails while installing the AGPGART. So I'm still stuck with vesa. It works fine though.

Am trying to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.11.12. In yesterday's attempt, I built ALSA inside the kernel and now my sound works correctly. Kernel config did have some 915 options (display)...but I've not gotten the time to fiddle around with the rebuilt kernel. Will do it tomorrow and let you know the results.

Guest the_maassk

UPDATE:

I just ordered Mandriva 2005.1 off the web. Expecting to get the package by the weekend :banana:

Just for kicks - I bundled Fedora Core 4 too, with the order!

Can't wait to get 'em and give them a spin. Will tell you what I find out :drum:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest san70001

I tried with kernel 2.6.13.1 but still the soundcard is not detected any advise.

when I run sndconfig I get an error message stating soundcore.o is not there.

Could you explain this please?

Edited by san70001

Guest the_maassk

I'm not sure - but this must mean that you did not build sound support into the kernel.

As far as I know, 2.6x series uses .ko as modules. Did you upgrade from 2.4x to 2.6.13.1?

You should be using alsaconfig and not sndconfig to try to configure your sound card. I would advise compiling and installing ALSA seperately as a module instead of fiddling with the kernel.

Here are some updates on my front:

Got to play with Mandrake 10.1 for a coupld of days before I got my 2005LE. Installed - everything detected perfectly (even the 802.11 wireless is working, though I'm using it with the NDISWrapper right now). Customized the look and feel. Works great! Trying to install Baghira..getting errors..working on it.

I'll try to replicate your problem in a day or two and let you know what I get.

Cheers!

Guest san70001

Thanks for your reply

yes 2.6x series uses .ko as modules. I upgraded from 2.4x to 2.6.13.1?

Is there any different way of installing .ko modules??

Will try compiling ALSA seperately as a module and will try to update you...

keep posting....

Guest chandrakumar

I'm new to linux. I have installed mandrake 9.2 on my compaq presario notebook. Would you please tell me where to download ALSA driver and the procedure to install ALSA

Edited by chandrakumar

Guest the_maassk

You can download the latest ALSA drivers (Development release - 1.0.10rc1 release or Stable - 1.0.9b) from the ALSA website - www.alsa-project.org.

You will also need the alsa-lib and alsa-utils packages.

Install them and if you get no errors in the install, run alsaconfig to get your card detected. You'll then need to unmute the channels and adjust the volumes using alsamixer. By default, the audio channels are muted.

If you are stuck somewhere...let me know.

Cheers!

I'm new to linux. I have installed mandrake 9.2 on my compaq presario notebook. Would you please tell me where to download ALSA driver and the procedure to install ALSA

Guest the_maassk

UPDATE: Mandriva 2005.1 is running stable on my lappy now. Managed to install and configure Baghira (with Brushed Metal) today. Looks good :beer:

I'm yet to figure out some errors I am having with the kxdocker install. Found this good filebrowser called krusader off the kde-apps website. 2-pane browsing is a real help. If only I could get the Baghira sidebar for krusader :P ...wishlist!

Will try uploading some screencaps of my desktop tomorrow!

Edited by the_maassk