Unsure what to pick

Guest DrPat

I decided to install the latest Mandriva to be released the other day (Mandriva Linux 2006 RC1).

I am trying to find out which URPMI version & architechture I need to use for this system?

There does'nt seem to be any for 2006 so do I choose 2005 or cooker etc ?

Thanks AnyOne

Keep in mind that RC1 has the collected rpms assembled and pretested together by Mandriva and is released so that bug hunting can be done. It would be reasonably stable but when you update from cooker you are not updating RC1, you are updating with individual appplications that have been individually updated and you can end up with an extremely unstable OS as a result. An example is mplayer, as Kristi and I have experienced.

If you accept that risk then go ahead by all means. Many of us do but we have a separate stable Mandriva as our working base to protect our rear end.

Cheers. John.

so do I choose 2005 or cooker etc ?

Thanks AnyOne

I picked'em all

Intel, P4 530J 3.0 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2, LGA 775

GigaByte GA-8I915G Pro" i915G

Marvel Yukon 88E8001 Gigabit LAN

Intel High Def Audio, Azalia (C-Media 9880)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (on Intel 915)

Kingston 1G(512MBx2) DDR400 PC-3200

Ranish Partition Manager http://www.ranish.com/part/

Maxtor 80GB SATA (one partition)

--------------------------------------

Mandriva LE 2005

Maxtor 120GB SATA (eleven partitions)

--------------------------------------------

Mandriva LE 2005 (20GB)

Mandriva 2006.3 (10GB)

Mandriva 2006.4 (10GB)

Ubuntu 5.10 (10GB)

Elive .3 (10GB)

empty (10GB)

empty (10GB)

empty (10GB)

empty (10GB)

empty (10GB)

Maxtor 160GB SATA (one partition)

----------------------------------------

Windows XP SP2, mostly dormant or for compatibility testing

KingWin HD SATA Rack/Tray subsystem

Sony CD/DVD-RW DW-D26A

I use Mandrake 10.1 at work on an 800Mhz VIA platform

Mandriva LE 2005 is my OS of choice

:D

Thanks ,the reason I started this post was to get peoples advice & experience in what they think is the right repos for this version(2006RC1) of Mandriva as I thought I saw in one thread someone talking about using "2005 from urpmi & not Cooker repos" but that only confused me so much that I sent this post,.

So if I am advised not to use "Cooker" then what should I use that is not going to Downgrade my system with a fresh install of "2006-RC1"

Thanks All.

- .DrPat.

I still dont know what is best to use , You would think mandriva would have a little "faq" to go with these test versions Saying which Repos are best to use if trialing "2006 RC1" etc.

I have been using cooker with out to much of a problem so far, but I think the fact is noone really knows what is best to use.

I got advice on a couple of occasions not to use "cooker" but no advice on what I should use then if I dont use "cooker"

Example- "Dont use cooker' -OK then "what do I use"

AnyWay I will continue to use Cooker Repositories the same way I upgrade or install & use any Distro (bit by bit) Always found this the best & most sensible way to use a Installer like (apt-get,yum,Urpmi,especially when using "unstable' or "cooker" repositories?

I suppose this is what testing a distro is all about:

So far so good except for a couple of packages that wont or dont Load after installation but I find that happens on every Linux Distro at some stage,usually unimportant software like little games etc?

I understand your point of view. But in all honnesty, you simply used a distribution you shouldn't have used, unless you want to participate in Mandriva QA.

All QA participants know that development happens in Cooker. They also know that at some point, several cooker "freezes" occur and become beta releases, and then release candidates, to be tested by the QA team.

Cooker is de facto the repository for betas and RCs.

However, betas and RCs are not distributions to use as your main OS. So upgrading with urpmi internet sources defeats the goal, which is to test each application as it comes in the release (and not as it is in Cooker at any subsequent time), and to ensure (as much as possible) that no bug remains to be corrected before the community and/or official release is done.

With this in mind, internet sources should only be used to test urpmi itself, not to "upgrade" the beta or RC.

Yves.

Thanks , I appreceate your advice & insight.

I did quote that this is what testing a Test Distro is all about.

And that its best to install pkgs or upgrade etc bit by bit.

My main concern was which repos to use so I can install the Software not on this distro that I want to use .

I just didnt want to add software that had certain dependencies that might need to downgrade certain packages & files already installed .

Infact when using Unstable packages with Debian or Fedora etc means your testing the software for bugs & so forth.

AnyWay I have added the software I wanted to add & everything seems fine so far.

thanks