printer does not print

Guest Rob

my printer shows no reaction at all when trying to print something. I use my computer as stand alone, so no network is involved. Installed printer noth with cups, but lnp?. In mandrake controlcenter the printer is correctly recognized, i configured it several times, and no complaint from the config tool is heard. Trying to print the testpage results the message appears that the page was sent to the printer, and that it might take a while before the printer reacts. I am waiting for a week now for the first testpage to arrive, and i beginning to think something is wrong.

The printer worked fine onder suse 7.3, (which i had a short while before 9.0) and also under the wind.partition. Anybody experienced something like this ?

Printer i use : hp deskjet 400, which is to use with either a black or a color cartridge.

Computer compaq deskpro P2 400 mhz.

In printer configuration i checked the option 300 dpi, greyscale,black cartridge. these options are there because printertype and port are correct recognised.

In the mcc setup program (printerdrake i believe) no mistakes are reported, and i believe the file to print gets lost somewhere.

On the other hand, starting up mandrake while printer power is on gives no reaction by the printer, while it makes some moves when i start up windows.

bye the way, i am going to look at www.lockergnome.com where should be some useful info.

No i have not updated, using a clean 9.0 install. In the meantime i discovered somethings.

At rebooting the computer the printer does react, so the first post was wrong about that.

I tried printing a testfile from kedit, which gave me a complaint by knotify. it says:

unknown option -#Usage: /usr/bin/lpr [options] file1..file2.. , file N - options , -o driver_opt,

-a driver_arg = Value and some more.

I noticed that these are the options of the lpr command, and i geuss this should be specified in some config file. I looked in /usr/bin, seen among others the lpr executable, but nothing that looks like a config file.

I have checked the mentioned link to the other printing problem, but they seem to have to do with updating, which i didnt.

service -s from console shows that cups is running, i have stopped it now, but is does not make any difference.

may something else that helps: i ran KLpq for viewing print queue, with all three available options. in each case is fails because it could not parse the printcap file. Or has this nothing to do with it because i dont use cups ?

AFAIK, most newer printer models from HP require Cups and the driver hpijs although that driver may be different for your printer. Check it out at HP's open source driver page. I have an HP PSC 2110 all-in-one printer and it worked out of the box with Mandrake 9.0 and I am using the updated CUPS. You cannot compare what happens with Windows and Linux. Windows seems to like sending initialization strings to various parts of the computer. FWIW, my printer does not do anything when Windows starts and I have no problem printing from either W$ or Mandrake. OTOH, the driver I referred to requires several extra user initiated hoops to jump through with Redhat 8.0. The printer list in Redhat is just short of my model so I attribute that to the printer being newer than the distro.

Counterspy

I checked at HP, and HPIJS supports the deskjet 400.

Checking localhost:631, there my printer is listed. There is even a job list, all the testpages i tried to print are in the list of completed jobs. The ones tried from printerdrake are performed by root, others by user rob. Status of all jobs is "aborted" , except the ones i tried to print from kde apps, their status is "completed".

When i press "restart job" a failure message comes up saying "client error not possible"

I have no idea what that could possibly mean.':?:'

Looking again at the HP site (supported printers), i saw the drivers for my printer (HP deskjet 400) are those of the deskjet 540.

In mcc i installed a printer type dj 540C, and now it all works fine.

:D

Thank you all for reacting to my posts, especially the hint to look at HP-site helped me a lot.

I am very glad with another victory in my struggle to conquer linux.