Printer Sharing [solved]

hanes

I am running samba on my network.... I followed the howto on installing samba and it worked great! (https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=16737&hl=samba).

But I want to share the printer attached to this server. When I set up samba file sharing I clicked on "share all my printers", but then when I go to the client and under mcc -> hardware -> add printer and click on search network for printers it tells me there are no printers on my network.

Any advice would be great as I am a little lost.

Thanks in advance!

Hanes

Edited by hanes

I'm assuming the printer is on a Windows system and it is set up to be shared, yes?no? There may be problems with your Samba set up or Cups. One thing you can do to get an idea where the problems lies is the command smbclient. Enter smbclient -L <name of printer server> (don't use the <>, it's a punctuation of mine. Your should then see all that is available to be shared. If the printer is not seen there is a Samba issue, if it is you probably have a Cups issue. I do remember that when I had a printer on a Windows system I had all sorts of problems because my Linux computer name was the same as a user name, something Windows can't deal with. Also try setting up the printer from Cups by entering localhost:631 as a url in a browser (konq or firefox). Issues that can come up are valid users and Samba has its own user list set up with the sambpasswd command (you may know all this so sorry if so). Post more details as you get them. Good luck.

the printer is on a mandriva 2005 server that i set up pretty much following the how-to i linked to off this site. The client is also mandriva 2005.'

Also I went to localhost:631, couldnt find anything about sharing there......but it was neat to know that it existed....

When I typed the smbclient info (on the server) I got this output... I am trying to share the BROTHER1430, the workgroup is supposed to be MDKGROUP (I think the other one was made by a windows partition isnt active anymore.)

Sharename Type Comment

--------- ---- -------

print$ Disk

pdf-gen Printer PDF Generator (only valid users)

incoming Printer Incoming

IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server 3.0.13)

ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server 3.0.13)

BROTHEHL1430 Printer BROTHER HL-1430

112Laser Printer HP LaserJet 5000

hanes Disk Home Directories

Domain=[u411] OS=[unix] Server=[samba 3.0.13]

Server Comment

--------- -------

Workgroup Master

--------- -------

MDKGROUP U411

WORKGROUP NIKAO

Edited by hanes

well, i figured out that in all my printer boxes the printer is there.... i can print from the client

but oddly enough under mcc -> hardware -> add printer the printer is not there and not addable.... but i can print from a kde app.... whatever it works

thanks for the help