Voodoo3 and OpenGL games.

roc19

I've got a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card. I'm running MDK 9.0. The card is working great and it plays Quake3 and Unreal Tournament like nobody's business but I do have a bit of a problem. When I'm playing a game and I go to exit the game my screen freezes and I can't do anything but restart the computer.

This seems to only happen with games like Quake3, UT, Tuxracer, etc....

It doesn't happen everytime but it happens enough that it's really bothering me. If I wanted to reboot all the time I would have kept using Windows 98.

If anybody knows what I should do let me know.

A thought if you have an AMD processor, your problem could maybe be solved by adding:

append ="mem=nopentium"

to your /etc/lilo.conf

Its a well documented bug, a quick google should find all you need to know about it.

Of course if you've not got an AMD cpu - sorry can't help

:wink:

I had the exact same card.

I remember having problems with downloaded driver solutions and it is also important not to complicate matter by installing Mesa (not necessary). What I did was run an expert install (or update if you don't want to re-install) of MDK 9 and then I simply selected XFree with Direct Rendering.

I know that sounds stoopid, I guess that I was just expecting it to be harder then it was. Anyway, after that setup, my card ran like a dream without probs. I miss 3dFX, they made good shit.

Oh - and don't push your res too high in games, I had problems with UT freezing when I did that (even though the game was running fine).

Before fixing something that might not be broken, drop your res and see if the problem persists.

Well it looks like my games are still freezing. The "mem=nopentium" line in lilo did help somewhat but every now and again I still get a frozen system. It would be a big big deal but it does happen enough to be a really big pain in the butt.

Looking for any other ideas.