mp4 m4a

null

I was messing with a file sharing app (limewire) and noticed that some people have m4a files. I hadn't seen this, so after googling it I find that m4a or mp4 are successors to mp3, but have no licensing issues... Supposedly the quality is better than mp3, at least for the same size files...

I have nothing against ogg, except that my mp3 car stereo won't play them, so I never have any reason to burn ogg data discs.

any comments? is linux gonna use this format "out of the box" ? I'm talking FC and other distros that don't include mp3 support.

If they don't include mp3 there's no way they are going to include m4p. Apple uses that for iTunes ;)

I use iTunes to convert those to m4a's (aac) and linux can play them. Better? A little. M4p's, before they are converted are far better than any other format! But a lot is lost in the conversion to aac.

I downloaded a few m4a files just to try them out (on my win2k box). Winamp plays them fine. I also burned a data CD with them to try on my mp3 car stereo.

You're right, they are apple iTunes files. But the m4a files that I have been finding on file sharing networks are not protected, and can be renamed to mp4. The m4p files you mention are DRM protected.

hmmm.... after googling some more it seems that this new mpeg4 standard is gonna have some protections in it. Guess I won't d/l anymore. There's lots of gobbledegook & fine print all over the web about this... :unsure:

the only reason I mess with compressed audio in the first place is to play in my car on my mp3 car stereo. Its much more convenient driving around with 6 Black Sabbath albums on 1 mp3 CD rather than having 6 separate CDs. I haven't actually tried playing an ogg data CD on my car stereo. The owner's manual for the stereo does not list ogg as a format it plays, so I never bothered to try it out. Maybe some car stereo systems play ogg...? or will in the future ?