I can't use kde or gnome

Guest ColdDayInHell

Guest ColdDayInHell

hey..i just installed mandrake 10.1 and everything goes just fine iit come to the boot screen then i choose linux then it's loads and prompt me to the black screen askin for the login and pass ..i entered the login and pass...................then i'm stuck in the god damn command line"terminal" ...how can i get to the gui (kde or gnome) i have no idea

...any body help plz!!1

Guest ColdDayInHell

i tried startx,kdesktop, alot of thing didnt work .....and i found my tnt2 driver and it didnt work either .........and wut is this (first time survey)!!!

Guest ColdDayInHell

i tried and it did work and i opened the contorl center then configured it to automatically log on to the gui then i rebooted ......Everything is ok but when it cames to the display manager (the list to choose kde or gnome or wutever)the computer just load this blue background with mandrake10.1 written in the bottom right of the screen ..then stands still nothing happens................i pressed ctrl-alt-F1 then logged in as root and typed startx and this is wut i got

Fatal sever error:

server is already active for display0

if this server is no longer running,remove /tmp/.x0-0lock and start again

knowing that there was no problem at first it logged me to the console then typed startx and i log into the kde,,,,,,this problem happedned when i made it auomatically start the kde or any other gui....

Also, don't use startx as root. For some distros, (Debian I believe), auto-login doesn't even work it seems. Anyway, if you can't get it to work, just login each time. It's a lot more secure anyway, I believe.