Wierd problems with MP3s XMMS OSS, and my sound.

Guest phoenix426

Guest phoenix426

Ok, thanks for reading this post. I think my problem is with OSS, but really I dont know. I just recently did a fresh install of 2005 LE and installed AIM, XMMS, RealPlayer, and several other media programs. When doing the sound tests for Point2Play, I noticed when I tested OSS the sound would hang and it would keep playing about 0.7 seconds of the same sound continuously forever. I thought it was just an annoyance, and didnt think much of it, because all my games in cedega, use ALSA. I then opened AIM and when ever a noise came up, it would keep repeating about 0.5 seconds of sound over and over until it slightly changed. It took about 10-15 minutes for every sound bite to stop, which really annoyed me. In GAIM however, no such problem exsists (probably uses ALSA.) When I opened aMarok to play Mp3s same thing happen like in AIM, and when I try to open them in XMMS it freezes and dies (XMMS is using OSS to render sound.), however in RealPlayer (10.0), Mplayer, and Limewire, Mp3s, mpegs, WAVs, etc. sound fine. My sound card uses the via-82xx driver. If some one could show me how to change the XMMS and AIM sound things to ALSA or help me fix this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

phoenix

xmms is actually pretty easy to change

Open a terminal, su to root and

urpmi xmms-alsa

Then right click on it, go to Options > Preferences (or the other way around), then go to output and there should be a section near the bottom there to choose which driver to use. Change it to the alsa driver and you should be all set.

Not sure about AIM

You didn't ask avout this, but here's how to change cedega to use alsa:

Open up the ~/.transgaming/config file (as your user) using any text editor.

Scroll down to this section:

[WinMM]
"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"

And change it to

[WinMM]
"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"

If there's anything below that in the same section, just leave it as is

since he uses Point2Play he won't have .transgaming/config, it's easiest to just right click on the game icon in Point2Play and choose edit profile, then go to the audio tab. you can switch to alsa there. Point2Play keeps each game seperate, with its own configs/directories/etc., so you'll need to do each one individually.

by AIM, do you mean Kopete - the KDE instant messenger program? or did you install that old, p.o.c. AIM linux client from aim.com?

in amarok, from the menu bar choose: Settings -> Configure amaroK

In the window that comes up, select Engine on the left, and for Output plugin choose alsasink - this should fix it there.

for xmms, click so it's focused and press ctrl+p to bring up preferences. in the window that comes up, make sure the "Audio I/O Plugins" tab is choosen then change Output Plugin to ALSA.

and of course, welcome to the board! B)

Edited by tyme

Guest phoenix426

Note: "urpmi xmms-alsa" turns up no results. However, when I searched rpm.pbone.net, I found it. Also, quite bizzare, I ran XMMS under root, and for some reason it works....

Edit: Just read tymes post. Thanks. In XMMS I saw that, looks like I need to add the ALSA driver (probably from the rpm). I haven't looked at aMarok yet, and btw..I am, unfortunately using the old AIM client from aim.com, because I thought it might fix some of the issues I was having with direct connect using GAIM. Thanks for the replys.

Edited by phoenix426